Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. So yesterday I took my stock 5.0 with gears, exhaust, and Kenny Brown weld in subframes to the track. Tried launching on a about an 80 shot and something broke on the 1-2 shift. Felt like the whole car was like twisting or something. Caused me steering problems going down the track. Back end felt like it was swinging all over. I put my car on a lift and inspected the links for the lower control arms(MM weight jackers, just installed last week) and everything looked good. Uppers are still stockers with high millage but the fasteners on everything looked like they were all in the right place. Torque boxes seem OK. A small gap/seam on the bottom edge both of them in the same place but I think it might be factory. Car has a tko500 with poly mount. Motor mounts were bad as well, went to install poly's but I was sent to passenger side mounts. Installed that one and put the torn up stocker back in place on the drivers side, car did not have this issue prior to yesterday though and have had smoked motor mounts all year. Installing the one good motor mount did not seem to affect the situation at all though.

Anyone have any ideas wtf I did to my car? Whenever I get into torque the whole back end of the car likes swings sideways as it loads up. I'm at a total loss on this.

Any input appreciated, thanks Corral!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is this a drag car or an autocross/road race car? "Launching on an 80 shot" makes it sound like a drag car.

I don't frequent the drag racing forum so I don't know. You posted this in the Road Racing/Auto-X forum.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Greetings all. So yesterday I took my stock 5.0 with gears, exhaust, and Kenny Brown weld in subframes to the track. Tried launching on a about an 80 shot and something broke on the 1-2 shift. Felt like the whole car was like twisting or something. Caused me steering problems going down the track. Back end felt like it was swinging all over. I put my car on a lift and inspected the links for the lower control arms(MM weight jackers, just installed last week) and everything looked good. Uppers are still stockers with high millage but the fasteners on everything looked like they were all in the right place. Torque boxes seem OK. A small gap/seam on the bottom edge both of them in the same place but I think it might be factory. Car has a tko500 with poly mount. Motor mounts were bad as well, went to install poly's but I was sent to passenger side mounts. Installed that one and put the torn up stocker back in place on the drivers side, car did not have this issue prior to yesterday though and have had smoked motor mounts all year. Installing the one good motor mount did not seem to affect the situation at all though.

Anyone have any ideas wtf I did to my car? Whenever I get into torque the whole back end of the car likes swings sideways as it loads up. I'm at a total loss on this.

Any input appreciated, thanks Corral!
Possibly more help in the drag racing section, but my first thought is maybe torque boxes. Look for cracks/tears in the uppers and lowers.

Other than that, you might have a separated bushing somewhere (far less likely).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Do the lower arms have bushings? If so that could be your culprit as they are not designed to handle launches like that.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I would look at UCA bushings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How old are the bushings?Id replace them if there more then 10 years old...Btw im in waukesha WI lmk if you need any help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, it did end up being the torque boxes. A buddy welded them up for me and it corrected the issue.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Good to hear. I know a lot of us have had a hard time sleeping for the past 18 months because we had never gotten closure from this thread.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Good to hear. I know a lot of us have had a hard time sleeping for the past 18 months because we had never gotten closure from this thread.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!
:rofl:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha, good one.

My reply was more for anyone searching on a similar issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts