Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has spin techs and what do they think of them? Will I be happy to switch away from my flowmaster?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Neither. Ran both and hated them both. Flow wise and sound wise.
All we run now and recommend are Pypes race pros or for cheaper cost Jones max flows. So.e of the best sounding and highest flowing mufflers around.

Reactions: 2dxtrm

·
Registered
701 Posts
Both sound good and I have had both, just not what I wanted on my mildly built coupe. I ended up with Borla ProXS. I hear good things about the Jones.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Both sound good and I have had both, just not what I wanted on my mind built coupe. I ended up with Borla ProXS. I hear good things about the Jones.

How do you like the borla i was just trying to decide between the borla, magnaflow, and the pypes race pro.
Right now I have a set of the original Dynomax super turbo mufflers and is amazing how quiet it made my 347. Im not looking for something over the top raspy and obnoxious. Just a nice rumble and least amount of drone.
I have a set of magnaflow on my big block car and like them.
The thing I like about the borla and magnaflow is a portion of the sound filler inside is a stainless material vs the all fiberglass in the Pypes which im concerned might burn out after some time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice rumble and virtually no drone with the Borlas. They sound great and when promted by the go pedal....they sound even better. I'm happy.

Reactions: allbizns

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
How do you like the borla i was just trying to decide between the borla, magnaflow, and the pypes race pro.
Right now I have a set of the original Dynomax super turbo mufflers and is amazing how quiet it made my 347. Im not looking for something over the top raspy and obnoxious. Just a nice rumble and least amount of drone.
I have a set of magnaflow on my big block car and like them.
The thing I like about the borla and magnaflow is a portion of the sound filler inside is a stainless material vs the all fiberglass in the Pypes which im concerned might burn out after some time.

I've ran the Pypes race pros on everything from LS trucks to 8 second turbo cars for well over 8 years and never had a packing blow out issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my biggest issue is back in the day I always ran Mac cat backs on my mustang and am very partial to the sound. I think it’s u matched and clearly being said nothing sounds like it today. I search the Internet almost daily looking for a used set of mufflers or cat back.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
For that tinny and deep hot rod sound that Fox Body's are known for; MAC or Flowmaster. For the sweetest tone at all rpm's along with excellent flow...Borla 12" oval XR1. I have the Spintech 9000's and they are obnoxious and sound like crap. I have some Pypes waiting to go on. The Jones Full Boar mufflers are the best bang for the buck and have excellent flow. The Jones are $40.00 each and are a welded stainless, straight through design that sound great on just about anything. They aren't too loud or too quiet. I've ran three sets on different vehicles. I'm going to run the Pypes this round as it will be a turbo car and quieter than usual. I normally wouldn't run the Pypes race mufflers on a n/a car due to sound preference.
It's all personal preference. I can't stand the drone of chambered mufflers. I dislike cackling, popping and blatting.

Reactions: Whitexc

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guess when you really look at the majority of the straight thru mufflers ( magnaflow,pypes,borla,jones,
flowmaster Fx) they are pretty much all copies of each other except for a few small differences so i gues its really just a personal preference at that point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice rumble and virtually no drone with the Borlas. They sound great and when promted by the go pedal....they sound even better. I'm happy.

Thanks thats what was looking for very much like the magnaflows on my other car.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Borla ProXS here as well... previously had FloMaster 2 chamber delta flow's.
Flows were much more "metallic" at idle... if honest I miss that.
Otherwise, I prefer the XS's under every other situation, but especially above 5000rpm...
More quiet, less obnoxious at cruise and under light throttle... a little quieter under light/medium throttle, but the burbbly-blat is gone... at WOT same loudness but no burbbly-blat, so a much cleaner sound... from 5000rpm to 7500rpm there is no comparison... the Flows just seemed to make noise, the XSs stay crisp and clean... about the same loudness, but, more pleasant.
This is all on a n/a 306 with solid roller, iron heads, long tubes, H-pipe and full tails...
Hope that helps.
I have video's, but they are from 3 different sources, at different distances, so... not the best to compare.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Borla ProXS here as well... previously had FloMaster 2 chamber delta flow's.
Flows were much more "metallic" at idle... if honest I miss that.
Otherwise, I prefer the XS's under every other situation, but especially above 5000rpm...
More quiet, less obnoxious at cruise and under light throttle... a little quieter under light/medium throttle, but the burbbly-blat is gone... at WOT same loudness but no burbbly-blat, so a much cleaner sound... from 5000rpm to 7500rpm there is no comparison... the Flows just seemed to make noise, the XSs stay crisp and clean... about the same loudness, but, more pleasant.
This is all on a n/a 306 with solid roller, iron heads, long tubes, H-pipe and full tails...
Hope that helps.
I have video's, but they are from 3 different sources, at different distances, so... not the best to compare.
Post the videos

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
arg... I drive the car a couple times a year, and race it about once every 3 years, so, the driving sucks... but here you go.

FlowMaster 2chmber delta

XSs, no other changes

·
Registered
701 Posts
She looks and sounds good. Better than I would do at the track.

Reactions: cleanLX

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
As far as straight thru mufflers go, not all of them will perform the same. I had a set of Magnaflows on my car, put on a set of Bassani's (straight through perforated core), and guess what Im putting back on the car....Magnaflows.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
A million years ago a rag did a full on muffler test... I forget the particulars, but it was 302 based, and N/A.
I made a spread sheet from that test... attached.
Hmmm... will not let me attach excel... so here is pdf...

Attachments

·
Old timer
5,917 Posts
Magnaflow...

Reactions: 2dxtrm
1 - 20 of 28 Posts