Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have heard so many different things from a chip, speedcal, or the speedo gear things. I'd like the opinions of every 96-98 Auto guy with gears. This is how i see things now so correct me or something so i can get it right.

Chip ---> pricey
speedcal ---> only for 5-speeds
speedo gear ---> dont last
any others please inform me

by the way i'm installing FMS 3.73 gears :drool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Before I got my TKO I used SHM speedo compensator and it worked perfect and easy to install. They even set it to your tire size. I paid 130.00 for but that was a while ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A chip won't correct the speedo on a 98 GT. I found this out the hard way. I called DMP when I changed to 3.73's and was told a chip would do it. I installed the chip and no speedo correction. I called Chris, the chip writer at DMP and he informed me that I had to use a Speed Cal or Abbot ERA to correct the speedo. I use the Speed Cal to correct. I haven't checked it for accuracy yet, but it appears to be 1 MPH off.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Dillons98GT:

SpeedCal WILL work in a pre-99 auto-equipped Mustang. Period. I have one and it works in my '98 w/auto.

You could use a new speedo gear but the teeth are pretty thin and prone to shredding. Don't advise using one.

You could go to your local speedo shop and have a mechanical gear made but it's about the same price as a SpeedCal and it won't compensate for different tires or gears (future).

Get a SpeedCal. It works. You'll like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts