Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 3.73 installed and put in my speedcal which I purchased in March 2002. I get the surge while driving in cruise control. I have searched for forum, but found no definite answers.

1. Is there a new speedcal that fix's the cruise surging? Or is it still in testing stage?

2. Is it available, do I have to purchase a new one?, Can I trade it in for a new one?

And a question for the designer: Why not make the boot chip in a socket so it can be upgraded in the future?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the same problem but it's not that bad. I don't know of a fix. I think it messes up the stock cruise control calibration. I think what's happening is the EEC-V expects to need THIS much pedal to cruise at 70mph, but after the gear swap all you need is this much pedal to cruise at 70.

Dunno.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think Dallas Mustang does have an updated speedcal that fixes this problem. You might want to contact them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There definitely is an upgraded model that will fix the surging. Mine was installed last week and it works great!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I designed it...

To answer first why the prom isnt in a socket... I dont want anyone screwing with it... Besides its an 8-pin chip so it isnt hard to change out and thats what we did.

Now... The present design SpeedCal works fine and the new Universal SpeedCal isnt required to fix a car with cruise control issues. In fact, the Universal SpeedCal is basically configured pretty much the same as the present SpeedCal on late model Mustangs. BlueStangGT is one of four guys who are presently driving around with Universal SpeedCal prototypes. I had a few built to test out the new design and we installed them in some cars after my benchtests.

In my guinea pig group to address this recently, all users received the present design SpeedCal with the Universal SpeedCal software load and all had their cruise control issues fixed. Period...

If you have a car with a cruise control thats acting up contact DMP and see if they can get one out to you. I currently have no units at the house with the prom changed out. I had one but it went out this morning. They still had stock when I talked to the owner this afternoon.

And another for the record... This issue is not unique to SpeedCals. Some Abbotts and SpeedCals both have had issues with nervous cruise controls. I want to make that clear. I have been very open and public on this issue with the SpeedCal however because I wanted to understand it and fix it.

And finally, if you have a SpeedCal and it works fine for you there is absolutely NO NEED to request an updated unit or try to acquire a universal unit when they become available which will hopefully be in a few weeks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the cruising issue with my Speedcal and contacted TriBlkCobra about it. He sent me out a new one 2nd day air. Now my cruise works perfect.

TriBlkCobra, have you revieved my old unit yet? Do I just have the new model or is it the universal one? Again, thanks for all your help on solving the issue. Best customer service I've ever dealt with :joy:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
gr99gt said:
TriBlkCobra, have you revieved my old unit yet? Do I just have the new model or is it the universal one? Again, thanks for all your help on solving the issue. Best customer service I've ever dealt with :joy:
I think so... I'd have to go back and check some stuff to be sure but its no big deal if I dont have it yet. I'll get it when I get it :)

[edit] And yes you have the old design with updated software. There are only four guys with the new Universal SpeedCal. It can be identified by another dipswitch bank up near where the wires solder to the board.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wanna second the remark about excellent customer service.

TriBlkCobra has exceeded my expectations of what customer service should be.

If you need a speedo Calibrator there is no reason not to purchase his. If there is a problem when you get it, which I imagine is still a rarity, he will fix it. (and thats period)

My new SpeedCal works perfect, city driving, and cruise control, and its way more accurate than the speedo gear was in my 98GT.

Thanks Willie, and DMP.

Eric

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definintely a thumbs up goes to TriBlkCobra!!!!!!
He fixed my SpeedCal issues also. Best customer service I've ever seen. He really cares about the product. It's nice to see now a days. :)

Thanks
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts