Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got Cobra R front brakes and 03/04 Cobra rear brakes on my 2002. I got some Russell Speed bleeders (639630) for all the calipers. The rears screwed in fine, but there are still a couple of threads exposed (too long?) , the front are very tough to screw in. Is this normal for their to be a lot of resistance when screwing in speed bleeders compared to just a regular bolt like for the brake line? I dont want to wrench it in, and then find out i cross threaded everything.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Different thread pitch? I know my standard front Cobra PBR bleeders are different than the Varga rears I'm using.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The Brembo bleeder has a 10mm-1.0 thread, just like the rear caliper bleeder. Check that first, otherwise they will be snug with the sealant Russell uses on the threads.

I ended up ditching them since one leaked throught the center mechanism - regualr bleeder screws were about $1 at NAPA and work just fine with the power bleeder.

EDIT: Your part number is correct. I would just chase the threads with a tap to be sure they are clean before you put the new ones in.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out the issue, it was dirty threads, I cleaned them up and the speed bleeders went in without any probs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had speed bleeders on my front calipers which also seemed too long. While tightening them down one time I must have put just a little too much pressure on them and thought that I had striped the threads out of the caliper. It seemed to just spin. I removed it and replaced both of the fronts with the stock bleeder valves to get them to my mechanic. Everything ended up being fine. I think that the extra length of the speed bleeders are what contributed to what I experienced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts