Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed copper plugs, one heat range colder than stock, (part no 401 champions) gapped at 35. car runs very smooth again, seems to run better with the cooler plugs when under boost, might be imagination though. bobn

·
Registered
178 Posts
plus actually take away hgeat from the combustion chamber. thus a colder plug will allow the conbustion chaber to run cooler = disperses more heat. however, unless your tuner addes extra timing at lower rpms, chances are you will get horrible cold starts when the plugs get older.

i suggest leaving the car to idle for 2 minutes before touching the throttle, first cold start of the day, unless, as i said, you have a very good tune with perfect a/f and the extra timing.

on my car though i actually tun 2 degrees colder, and cinse the tune, it is great everywhere. idle is rcok solid and i have better driveability than stock.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for info, it is hard to find out anything about spark plugs. i went nuts trying to decide which to try.
at least with my car if it is not sunny and warm it does not go anywhere. total mileage so far is 28k. bobn

·
Registered
178 Posts
you'll be fine. the rule generally is to go at least one heat range colder. sometimes you go up to 2 or 3 colder, but like is aid above, unless you have a great tune, you will hate it during cold starts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bob I've had two ranges colder since the blower install with no problems. I use Motorsport AWSFA-12-C gapped at 40 (w/15* of timing). I've never been a fan of Champion pulgs anyway but that was years ago with carbed cars.

Marty

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks sinster, hey marty without sounding like a smart alect, how about (A )lbert (C)hampion plugs, ha ha. by the way i still hate penziol oil too. bobn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts