Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator & USAF (Retired)
14,998 Posts
2mm of insulation.

Why, to prevent spark leak and allow a wider gap to the plugs without having it arc through the wire, with higher voltage ignition systems.

Example/case in point, near 18-1 compression, msd 7al3 and pro-power coil, is a 55,000 volt system. Spark was collapsing/blowing out with gaps larger than .030 peak performance was attained with .026" gap. Lessor wire could/would have allowed the spark to arc and not even allow the .026" gap....

·
Registered
7 Posts
2mm of insulation.

Why, to prevent spark leak and allow a wider gap to the plugs without having it arc through the wire, with higher voltage ignition systems.

Example/case in point, near 18-1 compression, msd 7al3 and pro-power coil, is a 55,000 volt system. Spark was collapsing/blowing out with gaps larger than .030 peak performance was attained with .026" gap. Lessor wire could/would have allowed the spark to arc and not even allow the .026" gap....
I'm a dope. But! I like to know, and a dumb question is one that is never asked..so, I have a 2006 4.0. I have the screamin demon coil pack, which I believe is 50k volts. I have 8mm wires and iridium plugs. I have considered for years, 10 mm wires, and what would the gap be for the plugs...I can't seem to get this info anywhere...I have been running factory gap. Have had no performance issues, but was curious with this upgrade if it should/would have to change to accommodate...fyi, cai, throttle body spacer installed also with a diablo supertuner

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a dope. But! I like to know, and a dumb question is one that is never asked..so, I have a 2006 4.0. I have the screamin demon coil pack, which I believe is 50k volts. I have 8mm wires and iridium plugs. I have considered for years, 10 mm wires, and what would the gap be for the plugs...I can't seem to get this info anywhere...I have been running factory gap. Have had no performance issues, but was curious with this upgrade if it should/would have to change to accommodate...fyi, cai, throttle body spacer installed also with a diablo supertuner
OH!, this weekend will be finally installing bbk headers!! can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
The only reason you would need a 10mm plug wire is because of the looks and you have money to burn. They would not make any HP compared to a good set of 8 mm wires.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Whats the big difference between 8mm and 10mm spark plug wires? when is a 10mm wire better and why?
If you want some good tech about spark plug wires, spend a few minutes at Magnecor's tech pages. It will offer a lot of information if you look around.

Main Page

Overview of the Aftermarket Wire industry:

Wire Conductor Types and Differences

FAQ

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
From the Magnecor FAQ, Item #11:

11. What gain, if any, will I get using 10mm size wires — compared to 8.5mm size wires ?
Our R-100 (10mm) cable has a thicker insulating jacket, designed for extreme heat situations or where extra insulation is needed for extreme-output ignition systems and where it's not easy to space the wires from one another and/or the engine. Our KV85 (8.5mm) and R-100 (10mm) cables both use the same conductors and provide the same spark energy output, and, as most street and modified production engines don't really need a cable size larger than 8.5mm, using our 10mm size cable is usually overkill (or for appearance). Please understand our 10mm cables, due to their large diameter and bulk, will take more room, and a little longer to fit and loom correctly.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The $40 ford Motorsport plug wire sets are the best value for a quality wire IMO. They come in a variety of colors to fit your setup

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I thought they were chinese made junk now? Not like they used to be.
I’ve read the same, Motorcraft* wires are great though

·
Registered
907 Posts
I use FireCore

·
Registered
732 Posts
No no, you want the Motorcraft set that is even cheaper. The Ford Racing (Motorsport) ones have a bad rep these days
Never had a single problem with the ford wires. Ran them on my cars, and installed them on clients cars. They will continue to be used.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I thought they were chinese made junk now? Not like they used to be.
Both the motorcraft and ford racing ones are made in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like my livewires. Are they overkill? More than likely.

·
Registered
732 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts