Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tuner believes im getting spark plug blowout at high rpm when he turned the boost up today.

It was fine around 12-13 psi, made 530 rwhp, he turned it up to 15 psi and was blowing out I guess.

I wasnt there so I dont have sheets or anything, im assuming its not valve float at such low boost/ power anyway and they are supposed to be high pressure valvesprings anyway.

Should I upgrade to MSD coil packs or what?

The plugs are tr6's gapped around .028.....I have had problems with blowout before on my vortech setup at higher rpms, gapped the plugs down a bit and replaced with new ones and it went away but still seems like maybe my stock system is a bit old and tired.

They are stock coil packs and wires from 96. lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about the 96 coilpacks, but guys run significantly more HP on the stock COP's. .028" is pretty tight already though.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I would drop the gap down to 26. thats what i run mine at all the time with lower boost. I am running the screamin deamon coil packs and taylor thundervolt wires. I had a blow out problem at high rpms with the blower with the stock coil packs. but with the new ones everything seems to be ok.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would drop the gap down to 26. thats what i run mine at all the time with lower boost. I am running the screamin deamon coil packs and taylor thundervolt wires. I had a blow out problem at high rpms with the blower with the stock coil packs. but with the new ones everything seems to be ok.

Yea, I had a blow out problem come up with my blower as well, I just thought the plugs were old, swapped new ones in with a tighter gap and all was well.

Im gonna upgrade to screamin demon coils and some taylor wires though.

Its time to upgrade those components I guess....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know a whole lot about the 96 coilpacks, but guys run significantly more HP on the stock COP's. .028" is pretty tight already though.
I swear I read somewhere that the coil packs were supposed to be better with high RPM and higher power than the COPS?

maybe Im wrong, idk

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Yeah my tuner said he sees less problems with the coil packs than the cop set up. You could probably get away with the coil packs and a set of motorsport wires. I just wanted the best when I replaced mine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The easiest thing to do to eliminate your spark blowout problem is to switch over to a non projected tip plug. Doing so cleared my spark blowout issues at higher RPM running the stock ignition setup and ~ 500rwhp. Non projected tip plugs are tailored specifically towards boosted applications and will allow you to run a larger gap without blowout issues.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The easiest thing to do to eliminate your spark blowout problem is to switch over to a non projected tip plug. Doing so cleared my spark blowout issues at higher RPM running the stock ignition setup and ~ 500rwhp. Non projected tip plugs are tailored specifically towards boosted applications and will allow you to run a larger gap without blowout issues.
Interesting, seems like everyone and their mom runs tr6's with no issues though.

Definitely something to consider though...im gonna see what happens when I replace the coil packs and wires...they are 15 years old so I figure its time to replace them anyway.

If I end up switching plugs i might do the BR6EF non projected tips

·
Registered
353 Posts
i run a COP conversion on my 98 gt with stock ford COPs. I run TR7s or BR7EF gapped at 25. only time i got blowout was at 24lbs of boost dropped to 22lbs and it went away.

alot of ppl i know and tuners ive talked to said to run the Tr7s but everyone has there own opinion.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
i run a COP conversion on my 98 gt with stock ford COPs. I run TR7s or BR7EF gapped at 25. only time i got blowout was at 24lbs of boost dropped to 22lbs and it went away.

alot of ppl i know and tuners ive talked to said to run the Tr7s but everyone has there own opinion.
COP's are typically far more capable (especially at higher RPM) than a single coil.

With that said, a recessed tip plug is still the way to go with F/I applications...especially on setups that weren't F/I from the factory. They will allow you to run a wider gap, especially when pushing your ignition setup to the limits. Because they don't protrude, they are far more resistant to fouling as well as pre-detonation.

Do you have to run them? Obviously no, but I would strongly encourage looking into it. Just because everyone and their brother runs a certain type doesn't make it the best overall choice for your application.

Just some food for thought. ;)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I ran TR6 gapped at 28 and had blowout with 8psi.

It would happen at about 5,000 rpm

I ended up having to run right at 25 to get a clean pull to 7K.

Again, that was only on 8psi.

Close the gap and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I'm definitely gonna close the gap a bit. Also figure I might as well replace the plug wires and coils just for peace of mind

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
just FYI it will make better power with a larger gap, if you can get it to keep from blowing out

·
Registered
383 Posts
Would double or triple tip plugs help with spark blowout? Im not even sure if they make colder plugs in double or triple tip though, just wondering.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update:

Installed screamin demon coils and taylor wires without touching the plugs, spark blowout issue disappeared so it appears that those coils actually are an upgrade to the stock units.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. The taylor wires were a few $$ more but I think they are worth it. I had a set of livewires and they wouldnt even snap onto the plug LOL. The taylors fit good!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have stock COPs in my 99 and I've seen 24lbs of boost with no perceptible spark issues. TR6s gapped at .026. I had the plugs gapped at .032 and had blowout at 22psi.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts