Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if some one can explain the effects of spark blowout. I have my on3 kit on and have not the opportunity to enjoy it yet. My combo is gt40x heads, 1.7rr's, b cam. edelbrock performer rpm intake, 42's, dbx meter, anderson inline boosta pump, msd btm. The car seems to idle and cruise fine but at around 2500 it breaks up badly. I forgot to mention a forced induction intank 255 fuel pump.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the car is not tuned and yes a msd btm. the plugs that ate in the car are 3923's gapped at 32

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I wasnt sure which BTM you had sorry, some only allow adjustment of ignition retard and others do an ign box/ignition retard in one I do believe.

I would bring the gap down, and get a tune

-Chris

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i would like to get a tune but there is no shop within 8 hrs. i will close the gap down and try and tune off of the wideband and timing

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you double checked the MAF sensor wiring to make sure it's wired up correctly if you had to splice into it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did have to splice into it but it was years ago when i was supercharged to extend the wiring, but i have never had any issues after. i did have a issue with the meter and have since replaced it. i am going to bring the gap down to about 25-28 and double check all of my timing. thanks for the help everyone please continue with the thoughts. i will buy myself a moates or a pms in the future to try and tune myself later down the line.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Did you ever fix your problem? Old thread - I know, but I've got a similar issue...

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Good ingntion hygiene needs to be followed on a forced induction cars.

-Check your grounds, MSD's and aftermarket ECU's "should" be grounded to battery
-Make sure you have clean power, right from the battery or a clean binding post.
-Check your wires, cap and rotor. Look carefully for burned and damaged wires, it happens all the time with turbo cars
-Do not use garbage coil's

Acceptable plug gap depends on the whole system working right, if you have a weak link then you may have to reduce the plug gap.

My car did not like the MSD TFI coil, but the Digital 6 hung on over 1000 rwhp. The HVCII coil worked much better for me, even in the 650 rwhp area then the TFI.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good ingntion hygiene needs to be followed on a forced induction cars.

-Check your grounds, MSD's and aftermarket ECU's "should" be grounded to battery
-Make sure you have clean power, right from the battery or a clean binding post.
-Check your wires, cap and rotor. Look carefully for burned and damaged wires, it happens all the time with turbo cars
-Do not use garbage coil's

Acceptable plug gap depends on the whole system working right, if you have a weak link then you may have to reduce the plug gap.

My car did not like the MSD TFI coil, but the Digital 6 hung on over 1000 rwhp. The HVCII coil worked much better for me, even in the 650 rwhp area then the TFI.

Good info there. I didnt know you could use the HVCII with the digital 6. Looks like i found my next coil.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
For the record, I read somewhere that spark blowout is rare. In my case, I didn't have blowout; I had a couple small vacuum leaks and a bypass valve that didn't open. And it stuttered at 2,100 rpm exactly; every time, repeatably once it got warm.

Just fyi.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
my spark blowout was cool...my car would make 3 psi and immediately cut out, like the car would die...got new plugs, closed the gap to .25 and it ran perfect after that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts