Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I surely love my Mustang, I have to admit that off roading is my passion.

Back in the 5.0 Days, Ford was putting them in several vehicles, including both the Mustang, and the Bronco.

There were, of course, several differences between the engines they used. For starters, longer intake runners can produce more torque. So Ford decided to put the torqey version of the engine in the Mustang. Leaving the shorter intakes for the Full Size Trucks. :rolleyes:

Another big difference was the distributor boot. There's always concern that water might get into a vehicle's distributor, and cause the engine to die. FoMoCo tackled this problem expertly. They designed a simple rubber boot to cover the distributor, and help keep the water out.

Then, in their infinite wisdom, they installed these boots on the always-street-driven 5.0 engines for the Mustangs, but NOT the 4x4 Bronco/F Series vehicels which frequent the wet muddy trails. :blam:

Anyhow, there really is a point to my little rant. I'm trying to collect a few of these boots for myself, and my other off roading friends. It would save us a lot of time, trouble, and WD-40 on the trail.

About a year ago, someone on this board gave me a boot that he had sitting around. I guess once you make an engine bay all pretty, you don't want that ugly thing in there. I used it, and it worked fantastically. Unfortunately, I neglected to keep the boot when I got rid of the vehicle.

So does anybody have a spare boot, and if so, where are you located? I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for it, if you're interested.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of 5.0 experience said:
Glad you got some use out of the boot. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have any more.

It worked great! The only time I had to stop for distributor problems was when my friend soaked his, following me down a trail. I just wish I could track the thing down now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts