Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been surfing around the turbo forums for a litle while now and i have found lots of usefull info but i have one question?

if i turbo my 302 will it sound anything like a mustang still or will that classic 5.0 sound be lost forever ???

if you have videos or sound files that would help

thanks in advance

steven T

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine is pretty well muffled, compared to the long tubes and MAC mufflers I was running. The E cam I am running helps give the car some rumble. The car does whistle and fart now, so that is cool. I plan to ditch the mufflers altogether and run straight pipes all the way back. Sorry, no sound files.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 93 coupe has a single turbo and the exhaust goes through two catalytic converter and two straight through mufflers. The exhaust note is quieter than a stock one but the sound of the turbo more than makes up for it. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm running a single with a 3" downpipe that Y's into two 2.5" Dynomax ultraflow bullets then out to side exhaust (no cats). The sound is killer. It's a real low aggressive sound, and loud too. It would be no doubt louder if I weren't running a turbo, but it's loud. It still has the mustang drone too. I wouldn't change a thing.

Pic of side exhaust:
http://www.utahstangs.com/subdirs/ownerpicdir/ford/sams_car.htm

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbo

i was under the impression that exhaust notes came from the pulse of the engine and exhaust gas and adding a turbo woulda changed that and taken away that 5.0 sound . but if you guys say it still sounds good maybe a turbo is still in order. thanks guys!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine sounds like a normal mustang at idle, but when you get on it it silences down due to the turbo.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've got a 3" downpipe that Y's off to 2 3" ultraflow mufflers....it definitely quieted it down but like what was said before.... the sound of the turbo makes up for it....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Catfish said:
I plan to ditch the mufflers altogether and run straight pipes all the way back. Sorry, no sound files.
Don't do it UNLESS you keep the cat convertor. I just fabbed up a 3" y-pipe into separate 2 1/2" tailpipes with no convertor and no mufflers.........it sounded way way too loud. The cops would have never allowed it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
CASturbo said:
Don't do it UNLESS you keep the cat convertor. I just fabbed up a 3" y-pipe into separate 2 1/2" tailpipes with no convertor and no mufflers.........it sounded way way too loud. The cops would have never allowed it.
I live in Pasco County. There are guys driving pickup trucks that look like they work for the mosquito control department. Hell, I drove an MGB for 2 years that burnt a quart of oil every three days. I had those anti foulers on all four cylinders and still fouled out a plug every week. I smelled like burnt oil all the time. I probably knocked six years off my life with all the fumes I breathed. I doubt the local police are going to worry about a loud car here. If so, I can always weld the mufflers back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts