Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1989 Ford Mustang LX Coupe Foxbody Notchback car. It has a pretty significant amount of chassis work and the cage is pretty extensive for a street car. The customer needed a carpet put into the car, and needed it to be worked around the cage. We travelled to the car's location (Pinellas Park) and installed the carpet, as well as some of the car's OEM Trim - which is very unusual in a caged car! But this is a Street Car :drool:

ACC Black Pre-Molded Carpet; here you can see where we had already cut the Cheetah Shifter into the carpet through the center section where the console will later go/cover:

Here you can see how the carpet binds up against the down bars of the roll cage behind the driver's seat:

Here you can see how the carpet lies up against the front down bar:

Here you can see the chasis work, where it ties into the car's Kirkey Racing Seat. The front bar is a stabilizer bar for the front portion of the seat, and then under the carpet towards the back of the photo you can see the two tabs where we had to cut those into the carpet to be exposed. What you don't see is that on the back of this section of carpet we had to remove the sound deadening / padding, because the seat is made to sit exactly flat on the cross bar (chassis work is very precise) - and with the carpet and padding, it did NOT fit. We had to remove the carpet again and remove the padding to get the seat to fit :D :

Here is the seat installed, you can see that even though we removed the carpet from the crossbar at the sections where the seat mounted - we still were able to make it look factory up under the visible sides of the seat:

In most caged cars, you never see a set of door sills put back into the car. Here you can see we were able to slightly modify the sill plates to fit back into the car, even with the cage!

Installed up under the dash safe & sound (don't pay attention to the wiring; it's not finished yet), we were even able to retain the use of the OEM black kick plates/panels:

And here you can see the work we had to do to get the carpet to fit snuggly up, in, and around the cage bars:

And then got the back section fastened to the floor-board where the Rear Seat Delete will be installed at a later time:

If you've ever done anything in a car w/a cage, in regards to carpet, you can certainly relate to the level of difficulty involved in making the end result look great! I think we achieved that for the customer and at an Affordable price :king:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man, it is an intense process. You have to start from the front of the car, and work your way back. It's easiest to try and complete one side at a time. That's how we approached it. Started on the driver's side, moved down the passenger compartment to the rear area. Then started the passenger's side, again at the front, and moved towards the back area.

Of course, before you can get started, you have to cut your shifter in - so that was the first step in the process, before trying to tweak and fit the rest.

To make the cuts around the downbars at the main hoop and subframe connector, we laid the carpet in perfect everywhere else, and then it's easiest to use a white pencil (one that you have to lick the end of to actually write), and kind of trace a line from the floor to the edge of the carpet. Then make the cut. Once the cut was made, then you test fit it to see if the cut is deep enough to go all the way to the front/bottom of the bar (you want it to be too short, so that you have to snip it a bit more, as opposed to it being too long - and then you have a big gaping hole). Once you've got the length correct, then you cut some little half-moons out at the bottom, so that the bars fit nicely.

Hope that helps man! :king:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I just did mine too, its a pain.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nice, I used the same carpet in my coupe that has a 10 point cage in it. Definitely a pain and a time consuming process, but new black carpet looks great.

You did a much better job than me in making it clean around the down bars! Gives me inspiration to fix it a little bit.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nice, I used the same carpet in my coupe that has a 10 point cage in it. Definitely a pain and a time consuming process, but new black carpet looks great.

You did a much better job than me in making it clean around the down bars! Gives me inspiration to fix it a little bit.
I got the non-backing version and I think it was $99. However, I think the person I bought it from ended up having a lot of problems with sales on the corral later on and is no longer selling things.

I just checked, it was stangstroked. He was banned as an alleged scammer. In his defense, my transaction with him went smooth. Oh well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We sell the ACC Carpets & Mats. Obviously, I paid cost for it. I can sell it to you direct from ACC - send me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks for the kudos on the install guys. If you put in your own carpets, you know the pain lol. Crawling in, around, and on the cage bars is a pain in the ass enough, not to mention actually having to WORK around them, haha.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
While we are on the subject, what are people using for the rest of the carpet. I don't have the rear seat in my hatch and I have bars going from the hoop the the upper torque boxes. Just need some carpet for the rear that matches. Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts