Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been making knives off and one for over a decade, more off than on. But the last few years its been a hot topic with forged in fire and other similar shows. I thought I'd post up some more of my work.

This knife was made at the request of a family member of someone I made some knives for a few years ago. He passed away at a very young age of lung cancer and his family wanted some knives similar to what I made him.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Beautiful work!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the little symbol on the handle. Knife looks great.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It is a mosaic lanyard pin. Basically a small tube inside of a bigger tube. The rods help hold the smaller tube in place. I drill through the bolster material then insert that tube with a small amount of epoxy for it to stay.

·
Registered
25,699 Posts
Yes. It was hand forged, though I'm building a forging press.

52100 and 15n20
You're a stud! As you may remember from years ago, I'm a knife nut. Had a few custom Half Face Blades done for me over the last couple years. They're addictive.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're a stud! As you may remember from years ago, I'm a knife nut. Had a few custom Half Face Blades done for me over the last couple years. They're addictive.
Thanks. I remember. I've made them off and on for a few years, over 10 really but I didn't get good until I moved to texas back in 2008 and worked under an old blacksmith there who taught me a ton.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have never been a knife person, but definitely appreciate the craftsmanship. I have a buddy that really likes them and it always blows me away when he tells me about spending $1K on some 6" lock-blade.

There is a guy in town with the name of Billy Mace Imel that makes knives. I guess he is world-reknowned. The buddy I mentioned above has purchased several from him and they are beautiful.

Very nice work Sir!!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never been a knife person, but definitely appreciate the craftsmanship. I have a buddy that really likes them and it always blows me away when he tells me about spending $1K on some 6" lock-blade.

There is a guy in town with the name of Billy Mace Imel that makes knives. I guess he is world-reknowned. The buddy I mentioned above has purchased several from him and they are beautiful.

Very nice work Sir!!
He's very well known. I'll admit I've not kept up with things the last few years, getting married, having kids took most of my time but I'm finally getting back into knife making again and man it feels good. I enjoy it.

Most of mine sell for 150-250 range but there are several who can pull that 1k price or more. Its amazing to me someone will pay that much. The knives I make tend to focus on being a "user" so they are made with a harder edge and I use higher end materials in them but still with that focus of them being used. I haven't made much that's a "wall hanger" other than a damascus axe for a fireman a few years back.

Thanks for the compliment. I figured I'd post some pics up over here to try to get some blood back in the place. I'm actually up just north of you now just outside of Chicago in NW Indiana area.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm actually up just north of you now just outside of Chicago in NW Indiana area.
You poor soul. j/k I have a niece that lives in Crown Point.

Mr. Imel is around 80 years old I believe and was a tool maker for Chrysler for many years. I guess he stopped making sheaths many years ago, so it is real hard to find his knives that include them. My buddy has one of his lock-blades that is completely stainless (handle, etc.) polished to a mirror finish and it blows me away that you cannot even see the split until you actually unlock the blade and the lock raises slightly.

He also has some fixed blades and the serrations where you put your thumb are so sharp it is crazy.

Forgive my ignorance regarding knife terminology.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts