Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my ultimate goal was to reach 550RWHP, which would be the route to go?? I would obviously like to keep my Procharger on either application, but I don't want to regret any decisions later. I would love to have a DOHC motor, but how much more $$$ would it cost?? If the conversions could be done with forged internals on both, and the cost difference (assuming there is one) is reasonable, I would like to get the DOHC. What do you guy's recommend???

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It can be done with a SOHC. Some guy posted here a long time ago and he made 550 rwhp exactly with his 96 GT. He had a fully built 4.6 2v, the frpp heads and intake, and pushing i believe about 16 pounds of boost. It can be done, but it is probably much easier to do with a DOHC.

As far as price, thats a toss-up. You already have a 2v, so you would have to rebuild it AND buy new heads and intake. The FRPP stuff is gonna cost you 3 grand. I don't know how much a cobra motor is going for, but no matter what you buy, you gotta buy the forged internals. Only difference in engine choice would be the price of the cobra engine versus the cost of the 2v heads and intake (and probably porting and polishing!:cool: )

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
97MattGT said:

You already have a 2v, so you would have to rebuild it AND buy new heads and intake.
I guess I should have mentioned that I have a 2000GT with an ATI Procharger (410RWHP & 410RWTQ) on a stock motor. Reaching the 550RWHP is a goal I hope to achieve within the next 18 months.

·
Banned
396 Posts
If you use a 4V this is very easy, Cobra crank. Order a new one from Dan Newman at Five Star Ford, about $400
Manley forged rods.
CP fully coated forged pistons, lower the compression ratio if you are going to run a blower. If you are not going to run a blower, then raise it to like 11.5-12:1. ARP main/head studs and you can use the SH stud girdle

Get a set of '99 and up tumble port heads and have them ported by Fox Lake, they are outside of Akron Ohio.

Stick with stock 96-98 cams, not the 99 cams or any SHM stuff.

Run like the wind away from a stroker motor, especially with a blower or N2O, the ring packaging is bad for high cylinder pressures.

Have the intake extrude honed and go with a single blade throttle body.

Put a Novi 2000 on it with an air to air cooler.

Run 15-17 psi of boost and you will make 600 at the tires and be durable

it s basicly the same with a 2V use a cobra crank windsor block get a set of PI heads ported and polished T Trim or Novi and air to air inner cooler, and of course Jerrys tuning, all this has been proven on the Dyno.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would keep your 2V and get the heads, intake, and forged internals. It would be cheaper then switching to a 4V. My guess is if you have 550rwhp with both motors, the 2V is going to make more torque than the 4V, which is just as important as hp. JMO

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
another thing to think about is durability. Using a 4v would probably take less boost to acheive those numbers. Less boost would mean more durability.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have also been thinking of this

I already have a set of PI heads with a P&P and cams. I am planning on getting a cobra crank and 17cc dished pistons with a Vortech v-2 sq trim. I figure around a safe 450rwhp.

What other things would I need to switch to a DOHC? I figure a computer. Will all the mounting be the same or will I need other cobra stuff like new K member???

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've been thinking the same exact question for quite sometime and even considering going back to a 5.0. But I'm going to tough it out and keep my 4.6 SOHC.

BTW, how much would forged internals cost for a 4.6?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts