Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my best time on mt 275/45/17s was 10.7 at 123 with a 1.6ish 60ft time, all of the rest were a few 10.9s at 122-123, and mostly 11.0s,
so i got to take my car out for the frist time this year i was all pumped slicks and a transbreak oh yah here come some 10.5s
but no, best time was a 11.18 at 119mph and a 1.58 60ft the slicks were 26x9 hoosiers, the only thing i have changed from last year was, strange 10ways and an eletric water pump, and bigger stronger eltric fans, and new sparkplugs but the same heat range and gaps as before.
i tried all kinds of settings on the 10ways, just can't figer out how my 60ft improved but i lost et and 4mph, there was alot of top end sway
so i have no clue

·
Registered
491 Posts
The car isn't spinning any longer slowing the motor on the take off. Try adding air to the tires until you get a slight spin out of it. What are you stalling the car up to?
Ya, your probably bogging the motor....may have a faster 60' but your dropping the motor rpms. More air and more RPM when you launch....

·
Registered
825 Posts
The only time I would ever go back to a slick is if my home track always had terrible track prep otherwise the radial is gonna stay

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my local track gargbage, i was launching at 4k of the trans break that's all the higher i could go due my convertor, slicks had no tubes and each were at 13.5 lbs, my car is at my buddy place right now and all of the slips are in there, i'll be picking it up in few hours, and post the time slips

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well...not to be too blunt, but I don't need a time slip to see that your 60ft time is the issue.

Any car that is remotely capiable of running in the ten's needs to be cutting better than high 1.5 60' times on slicks. I'm not radial vs slick expert...but if your cutting 1.6s on the radial, I'd think you should be in the 1.4s easy with a slick.

To be honest, the fact that you were running 10s with a 1.6 to me seems interesting. I run 10.90s at 123 with 1.4 60fts....just for comparison.

I ran drag radials 1 year (first BFGs ever made) and when I wen to slicks it was a night and day difference.

If todays drag radials are just as good ask slicks, I may have to try a pair of them next year.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can't find my timeslips from last year as i probaly tossed that stuff when i moved,
any how almost all of the passes go like this
reaction .0661 i think my best ever lol
60ft 1.5679
330ft 4.5988
594 ft 6.6868
1/8et 7.1589
1/8mph 95.32
1kft et 9.3367
1/4et 11.2459
1/4mph 119.09
almost every pass is almost identical to it other then my reaction time
execpt my slowest pass, with was frist of the night and pulled both wheels off the ground about 10inchs to the 60ft marker that was an 11.4

·
Registered
404 Posts
drag radials have a stiffer side wall thus more mph than a slick....but in my experience's the mickey thompson dr is the only way to fly with a drag radial.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I could never get a good 60' on ET streets

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...not to be too blunt, but I don't need a time slip to see that your 60ft time is the issue.

Any car that is remotely capiable of running in the ten's needs to be cutting better than high 1.5 60' times on slicks. I'm not radial vs slick expert...but if your cutting 1.6s on the radial, I'd think you should be in the 1.4s easy with a slick.

To be honest, the fact that you were running 10s with a 1.6 to me seems interesting. I run 10.90s at 123 with 1.4 60fts....just for comparison.

I ran drag radials 1 year (first BFGs ever made) and when I wen to slicks it was a night and day difference.

If todays drag radials are just as good ask slicks, I may have to try a pair of them next year.
i have quite a few people tell me i'm full of #### on my time with the 60ft but my local track prep is garbage.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Surprised nobody has mentioned difference in tire height. the 275/45/17s are roughly 26.79" tall, your 26 x 9 tires are probably actually slightly less than 26" tall. Looks like that alone would help on the front end and hurt on the top end.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didn't notice that i thought the were the same height, it really didn't seem to be reved much higher at the traps

now i think about it on the drag raidals i couldn't trans break i would just foot break i wonder if beacuse of that the tb cause more weight transfer so it's wasting power doing that i tried adjusting the front from the number 4 setting down to the number 1 on the 10ways, 60ft neverchanged all 1.5ish but i can't adjust the rear as it's only 50/50 lakewoods on the back.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
So you went with ET Streets or Slicks???????

A lot of auto cars will go a little quicker with a good setup drag radial over a slick. Power to the ground quicker, less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i went with et streets last year and ran faster, this time i went on hoosier 26x9 slick

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I went from 1.6x short times on ET Streets, to a 1.47 short time on 26X10 ET Drags. It's also a stick car though. If your 60' improved, and you lost ET AND MPH... You were either down on power by a good 30-40hp, or you were running into a 10mph headwind.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Weather, wind, my experience is that drag radials always gained in mph but not as good a 60' on a slick.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went from 1.6x short times on ET Streets, to a 1.47 short time on 26X10 ET Drags. It's also a stick car though. If your 60' improved, and you lost ET AND MPH... You were either down on power by a good 30-40hp, or you were running into a 10mph headwind.
praticaly no wind at all, would low atlernator votage affect the car that much as, i have almost every elctircal thing you can get waterpump fans gauges msd box etc, my volts were only 12.3, i'm ordering a bigger alternator

1 - 20 of 27 Posts