Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S-Trim sitting on the shelf... but I REALLY can't decide if I should just go with the S-Trim or Purchase the on3 Turbo kit?

Can anyone tell me the cost of the on3 kit WITH the upgraded BB turbo?
And is there any other "upgrades" one would suggest?

How about fitment/install? I have read about the V-band clamps being a bit leaky.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Lee

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I just sold my S trim kit to buy the On3 kit. Haven't bought it yet though.

Have you ever run the S trim or been boosted at all ? If not, I'd say run it since you already have it. Plus, the S trim setup is pretty much bulletproof and can make great power.

On the other hand, there's something very tempting about going turbo. lol

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sold my S trim kit to buy the On3 kit. Haven't bought it yet though.

Have you ever run the S trim or been boosted at all ? If not, I'd say run it since you already have it. Plus, the S trim setup is pretty much bulletproof and can make great power.

On the other hand, there's something very tempting about going turbo. lol
Frank,
I was talking to you about your kit... found one local tho.

i have actually had both before.... never took the time to get the Cartech turbo setup i had tuned correctly so, just not sure what to do... i know it would be much easier to just throw the S-Trim on, as i have one in the garage...But, like you said.... something about the damn Turbo :livid:

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I decided to run n/a for a while. I was a finger click away from buying the On3 kit, but honestly, the horror stories scared me off .......for now.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have a S-Trim sitting on the shelf... but I REALLY can't decide if I should just go with the S-Trim or Purchase the on3 Turbo kit?

Can anyone tell me the cost of the on3 kit WITH the upgraded BB turbo?
And is there any other "upgrades" one would suggest?

How about fitment/install? I have read about the V-band clamps being a bit leaky.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Lee
S-trim and never look back.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I took my s-trim off and went with a on3 kit. I will never own another s/c. the boost from the turbo comes on so much harder and faster. The main complaint I have with the on3 kit is the leaking v-band connections. A few gaskets and new clamps and all my leaks are gone. I have about 8k miles on mine with the base model turbo, waste gate and bov. no problems at all from any of them. Also no cracked pipes or anything like that. As far as power goes. show me a stock 2v like mine with a s trim and the same ammount of boost and Ill show you a car I can more than likely outrun. I have heard that the push rod kit fits better than the modular kits. I have the newer mod kit with the forward facing headers. It fits pretty good. Also Ill say this before everyone bashes on3. I am not going to get into a "e-fight" with anyone about how you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Use the s trim for a boat anchor get the on 3 kit. get new v bands and all is good. I have one on both of my cars my 92 has the old style wg and a mpt70. my 88 has the new style wg and the house turbo. They both roll out, the 88 on 3 kit makes 12 psi and it replaced an s trim kit making 17, there is no comparison period. The driveability is night and day as well. Other than the turbos and wastegates, the only other difference in these cars is the cam. They are both a blast to drive it's rediculous. Find someone on here that's local to you and have them take you for a ride it will make your mind up for you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i see a lot of different opinions, as expected. So for the on3 kit the only change i need to make is the V bands and which gaskets? And how much money are we talking with these changes?

No, the car is NOT a daily driver. It is registered as a classic rod here in Nevada so i have to stay under 5k miles per year. So it will see the track and a few sat night's. out on the street. ;)

Help me choose here fella's!!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I asked this question a while back, and was told by many people that if I was gonna switch to turbo, to buy other than On3. If you're not gonna save up and get a better quality kit, just run your S-trim. My as well send it in for an Si upgrade if it's on the shelf while you're at it, those will make well over 500rwhp depending on your application if I'm not mistaken. Good luck...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I asked this question a while back, and was told by many people that if I was gonna switch to turbo, to buy other than On3. If you're not gonna save up and get a better quality kit, just run your S-trim. My as well send it in for an Si upgrade if it's on the shelf while you're at it, those will make well over 500rwhp depending on your application if I'm not mistaken. Good luck...
I see you are running a Hellion kit. I looked at them but, Curious as to what makes them such better/higher quality kit? Other than the v bands. I mean you are talking $3,000+ more than the on3 kit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just sold my V1 Vortech S-trim setup at 12lbs that I had on my 91 coupe. It's just a stock 302 with an explorer intake, 42lb inj/255lph pump/80mm MAF. It was a fun car, ran that setup for 2 years or so. Got bored with the power and just sold it a week ago.

I'm ordering an On3 kit. Can make more power without needing to buy heads/cam and a bigger intake. Can make more power with less boost(most likely), and the boost comes on so much faster. Not only that but I will see full boost before red line, won't happen with the Vortech.

I plan to run 10-12lbs with the turbo, oh ya.. and I'm still on stock head gaskets and bolts :evilgrin:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd go with the On3 kit. The minor issues with leaks you MAY have are offset with its inexpensive price and the leaks are easily remedied IF you have them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I see you are running a Hellion kit. I looked at them but, Curious as to what makes them such better/higher quality kit? Other than the v bands. I mean you are talking $3,000+ more than the on3 kit.
Just the quality and warranty of the piping, and also the fitment including the v bands. I know it's a lot more expensive, but I certainly didn't buy the kit new. I pieced it together over time...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I decided to run n/a for a while. I was a finger click away from buying the On3 kit, but honestly, the horror stories scared me off .......for now.
Sorry to hear that....I love my on3 kit fits fine..performs awesome...I also did have a shop install and tune the car...Some of the horror stories you hear are people doing it thereselves...and shouldnt be working on cars period...I had a supercharger its nothing like a turbo...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts