Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im reading in the current issue of 5.0 Magazine and its talking about Matt Snow's 907hp 1993 cobra. They talk about how his 93 cobra is running stock brakes but uses a prototype brake cooling kit that mists water at the inside of the front brakes...

Is it me or does this seem like a good way to warp rotors?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
There are many different types of auto racing that do this to help cool their brakes. I know in semi-truck racing they use it. To me it doesn't seem worth it to us though from the added complexity, more things to break (and leak on track), and added weight. For a track car I would rather go the KISS route.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Some tracks or organizers (including myself) will not allow you to run water injection for brakes on the track.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Some tracks or organizers (including myself) will not allow you to run water injection for brakes on the track.
Why? Do you disallow all the STIs that have factory water misting on their intercoolers, too?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Is it me or does this seem like a good way to warp rotors?
As Oktavius already pointed out, water misting has been successfully used for brake cooling in a number of professional race series for decades. There's no direct spray of water onto the rotors, hence no concerns about warping. The mist is entrained in the air being supplied to the rotor hats and flashes to steam without ever contacting the rotors.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Here are some water misted brakes in use...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Why? Do you disallow all the STIs that have factory water misting on their intercoolers, too?
Disallow brake misting because I dont have tech line give time to review your high-tech install and verify that you have zero-mph cutout (dont leave puddle sitting still), and if you run out of fluid warning (so you dont overheat brakes at end of session, and go off due to lack of water).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts