Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the threads off of one of the stud bolts that goes into the block that holds the water pump on, and then holds the a/c bracket on. What would be the best way to get the threads off of the bolt.

I am thinking about removing the timing cover, what do you guys think?

PS- 93 5.0

Thanks James

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you mean its one of the 4 long bolts that go all the way through the timing cover to the block then removal of the timing cover is about the only way I know to fix this. What'll be the most aggravating is getting the cover off the remains of that bolt followed by the fact that when you do get it off the bolt will come right out of the block by hand. See, its usually corrosion between the bolt and the cover that leads to this problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Happened to me, twice!! (one of the heads snapped off one, the other broke off inside)

I had to drill and tap both holes and use different size bolts AND drill out the holes on the waterpump to fit the bigger bolts...not fun, but it works, and i have no leaks! :D

hope that helps out some...

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Same happened to me 3 weeks ago. There was enough of the broken bolt sticking out that i could get a pipe wrench on it and get it out after spraying penetrating lube and then heating the crap outta the bolt.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
If you have to drill out the hole fix it right, don't just use bigger bolts. Go get a heli-coil or re-thread kit and follow the instructions included. All you have to do is drill it out, then thread it , and then put threadlock on the helicoil and install it, then when it sets, put the same size bolt back in.

If you can't get vise grips or anything on what's left sticking out of the block, buy or borrow some E-Z outs. With these you drill a small hole in the stud, then pound the extractor in, then turn it with a regular wrench.

If there is a little lip sticking out where the bolt broke off, see if you can tap it around with a small punch or screwdriver. Doesn't work very often, but sometimes you get lucky.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You'll have to take off the cover.

However, you STILL have to get the rest of the bolt out. The BEST (really only) way to do that is with HEAT. Get a MAPP cylinder for your propane torch. Then heat AROUND the bolt. You want to Expand the area Around the bolt. Then, get vise grips and work the stud back and forth a little at a time. Then MORE heat. Do that for about 10-30 mins and the stud should come out. You can the MAPP gas and torch head at Home Depot for ~$25.

Those bolts often break. Coolant seeps past the gasket into the cover and the block and causes cross-migration of the different metals. Even without coolant seep, there is some metal migration. Metal migration, to "some extent", exists between two different types of metal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the timing cover off, and there is about 3/4's inch of bolt sticking out. I tried vise grips, but no luck there, and I tried putting a nut on the threads and jbqucking it there to use it like a head of a bolt, but it just snapped the jbquick. I havent tried using heat, but I dont even have a propane torch.

All these ideas are good, but with that much bolt sticking out, what would be the best way?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Also when drilling it out, use a reverse drill bit. One that drills Counter clock wise. I've found that most times you don't even need to use easy outs when doing this. And get some PB Blaster penetrating oil. This sh*t really works. You should be able to get it at wal-mart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts