Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track with the drag radials. Did my first pass, with a small burnout, forgetting about the oils on the tires, and spun all thru first. ran a 14.4. Horrible. Did way better on street tires<13.87>. Second pass, did a nice burnout, tires were sticking pulling out of water box, launched at 4k, and snapped my axle, and maybe some damage to the internals to the pumpkin. Not sure though. Car wouldnt move, so they had to lift it with the jack to move it. How expensive of a fix is this. and to upgrade axles? Thanks guys

Heres a short vid of it happening and my girlfriend forgetting to shut the camera off and running. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvAEvn6U40

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I remember that day well! I had driven the car to the track as well! If your patient you can find the parts in the classifieds cheap. I have under 300.00$ in my 31spline upgrade and thats with c clip elims and all! I did it all myself and so far it has about 60 passes on it with no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have experienced this 2 x's. When one of the axles break with the stock trak-lok diff the car will not move under its own power. On both occasions I had to remove the 3rd member and beat the splined piece of the axle out of it. Both times the axle broke right as it goes into the tube and started to slide out when the car was pushed away. Good luck. If you afford it I would upgrade to 31 spline or better differential and axles along with c-clip eliminators.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear disc brake pad will be forced hard into the side of the rotor when an axle snaps. (Been there, done that....;)).
####. so its sounding like more problems them I anticipated. thats just my luck, lol. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have experienced this 2 x's. When one of the axles break with the stock trak-lok diff the car will not move under its own power. On both occasions I had to remove the 3rd member and beat the splined piece of the axle out of it. Both times the axle broke right as it goes into the tube and started to slide out when the car was pushed away. Good luck. If you afford it I would upgrade to 31 spline or better differential and axles along with c-clip eliminators.
I was wondering why it was just sitting there, and didnt stall after it snapped. When they unloaded my car off the tow truck, I tried to reverse it off bc i noticed everything was rolling again for some reason, and then my left(driverside) wheel was wobbling, lol. still stayed in thank god. so then we unloaded it in a different spot which was way easier. Im thinking mine broke close to the Diff, since it stayed in the axle housing. What is the big difference between 28 spline and 31 spline? I was told that Stock center carriers with 31 spline axles and a good clutch should take you deep into the ten's. And I have a Centerforce DF stage 3 clutch. Do you guys think this incident with the axle breaking and all hurt my clutch??? my tranny still shifts fine, it seems and no leaks anywhere. Thanks for ALL your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you can, watch all my other vids on youtube and comment, they arnt that great though.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
i juts replaced my stock stuff with 31 spline setup..the 31's are a good 1/4" diameter thicker than the stockers..heavy duty stuff

my father in law snapped his stock axle this weekend too in his FFR cobra kit car..stock 8.8 mustang rear with 235 MT drag radials..snapped right in the center o the splines..luckily no other damage
bottom line..sticky tires + stock axles do not mix

video of him breaking:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was wondering why it was just sitting there, and didnt stall after it snapped. When they unloaded my car off the tow truck, I tried to reverse it off bc i noticed everything was rolling again for some reason, and then my left(driverside) wheel was wobbling, lol. still stayed in thank god. so then we unloaded it in a different spot which was way easier. Im thinking mine broke close to the Diff, since it stayed in the axle housing. What is the big difference between 28 spline and 31 spline? I was told that Stock center carriers with 31 spline axles and a good clutch should take you deep into the ten's. And I have a Centerforce DF stage 3 clutch. Do you guys think this incident with the axle breaking and all hurt my clutch??? my tranny still shifts fine, it seems and no leaks anywhere. Thanks for ALL your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you can, watch all my other vids on youtube and comment, they arnt that great though.

The 31 spline setup should take you into the ten's in my opinion. I would say the root of the breakage was the stage 3 clutch. It's give and take when it comes to breaking parts. Alot of guys will tell you that a softer clutch makes for less parts breakage. In my experience this is true but I would sometimes get slippage in 3rd and 4th a few runs into the night. I wouldnt think you hurt your clutch at all when you broke your axle. Should be fine. Just fix the rearend and you should be good to go. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, basically, if my center carrier is still fine, and my ring and pinion is also, just upgrading to 31 spline axles will do the trick? Without any other breakages next time I try to run the Drag Radials? lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
X2. Mine snapped right where the splines meet the shaft, had to chip away at the splines with a BFH to get it out. I had to push the car, jack it up, push the axle back in.....push the car, jack it up, push the axle back in.....
push the car, jack it up, push the axle back in..... until I got it to the trailer. If it's not rolling, something else is binding up for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, basically, if my center carrier is still fine, and my ring and pinion is also, just upgrading to 31 spline axles will do the trick? Without any other breakages next time I try to run the Drag Radials? lol
I think you might already know this but....You'll have to replace the stock 28 spline carrier with a 31 spline carrier in to order to upgrade to 31 spline axles. C-Clip eliminators would be a good idea but not absolutely necessary. Once you do that then ya I think you'll be good on drag radials as far as the rearend goes.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just dropped the car off at Dans Driveline. Im supposed to go back in a little bit to check out the carrier and stuff with them so they can show me what all got ####ed up. They told me that C Clip Elims are basically a band aid for that kinda change, but told me a better way. Cant remember exactly what they said, but I wanna say some time of bearing or something. Like I said, not sure though. Im going to go with maybe a True Track diff, possibly. They will let me know my best bet option when i get back. Im not going with moser axles, as they said the ones they are talking about are like 35% stronger the mosers, but I cant remember what the name brand was. Something starting with an M and was a guys name I believe. Thank u all for ur help! I appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
i just dropped the car off at Dans Driveline. Im supposed to go back in a little bit to check out the carrier and stuff with them so they can show me what all got ####ed up. They told me that C Clip Elims are basically a band aid for that kinda change, but told me a better way. Cant remember exactly what they said, but I wanna say some time of bearing or something. Like I said, not sure though. Im going to go with maybe a True Track diff, possibly. They will let me know my best bet option when i get back. Im not going with moser axles, as they said the ones they are talking about are like 35% stronger the mosers, but I cant remember what the name brand was. Something starting with an M and was a guys name I believe. Thank u all for ur help! I appreciate it!!!
Are you sure when he said 35% stronger he wasn't talking about stock axles and not moser as 31 spline moser axles are good for around 1000+ hp or around 800 rear wheel torque with 4.10 gears .
If you go drag racing often then do a total upgrade and be done with it . c-clips are a band aid you want to install 9" ends , a detroit locker , weld the axle tubes , brace the rear and last a differential cover no its not cheap but it will last then you can have fun and and not worry about breaking the rear .
Heres a pic of my built 8.8 . Good luck with the rear and post up pics of the damage we all like seeing carnage just not our own .

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you sure when he said 35% stronger he wasn't talking about stock axles and not moser as 31 spline moser axles are good for around 1000+ hp or around 800 rear wheel torque with 4.10 gears .
If you go drag racing often then do a total upgrade and be done with it . c-clips are a band aid you want to install 9" ends , a detroit locker , weld the axle tubes , brace the rear and last a differential cover no its not cheap but it will last then you can have fun and and not worry about breaking the rear .
Heres a pic of my built 8.8 . Good luck with the rear and post up pics of the damage we all like seeing carnage just not our own .
i am getting that same exact aluminum cover as well(TA). to help support everything. and an Auburn Pro kit diff with 31 spline Moser Axles, and keeping my 3.73 Precision Gear ring and pinion(as they were not damaged). all the parts: Auburn Unit 8.8", All seals, Crush Sleeve, sealant, pinion Nut, Bearing, TA Alum Cover, Brake pads(as the one on the side that broke grooved my rotor and made my brake pad ware wrong), 8.8 FD Axles 31 Spline Moser, and gear oil and labor is going to be $1643. Is that too much???????? Has anyone heard of Red Line oil????? and JR Motorsports Fastshaft Drive shafts??? thanks!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
all the parts: Auburn Unit 8.8", All seals, Crush Sleeve, sealant, pinion Nut, Bearing, TA Alum Cover, Brake pads(as the one on the side that broke grooved my rotor and made my brake pad ware wrong), 8.8 FD Axles 31 Spline Moser, and gear oil and labor is going to be $1643. Is that too much???????? Has anyone heard of Red Line oil????? and JR Motorsports Fastshaft Drive shafts??? thanks!
Well for comparison I have a total of around 2600.00 in my 8.8 brakes , assembly , welding , powder coating everything so I would say its an ok price . Some on here will tell you they have had the auburn break thats why I say the detroit locker as it is the closest thing to having a spool and that is what I am using .

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
If you plan on running radials and are going to go faster go with 33 spline now.
Go 9" ends
The strange parts are way better than moser.

Don't use a crush sleeve get a solid spacer.

Tim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heres my axle snappage..
damage: ..pulled upper torque box(fixed), clocked the axle tube 45*, the pinion flange hit the floor taking out the rear brake lines... lol

since this: rear end has now welded axle tubes, 9" ends , 33 spline axles and spool...

enjoy lol

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've bent two sets of 31 spline Mosers in my 96 Cobra's 8.8/Detroit Locker rear. No doubt, wheel hop was the culprit. Have a set of Strange axles in now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts