Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question comes up as I'm swapping the 11.65" cobra rears on my 89 LX vert.
I got a new set of pads from Advance Auto(just a normal street car,no road course) which are marked as being the 627A cobra pads. Look the same as some GT pads I have around though far as thickness.
Anyone have some measurements of how thick a cobra pad should be so it'll work with the vented rotors?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if parts store pads used the same pad for GT and Cobra rear calipers. Even if they have different part numbers.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be surprised if parts store pads used the same pad for GT and Cobra rear calipers. Even if they have different part numbers.
I'm just about to believe that to be the answer from what I've seen so far. All I wanted was some decent normal pads for a street car that wouldn't cost $75-100. I'm going to take them back and have them pull the "gt" 627 pads off the shelf and see how they measure up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I just went through this exact same thing.

I have a 92GT, with 95 Cobra rear brakes. I also went to advanced auto and they call for the same part number for GT / Cobra. I thought I was doing something very wrong trying to get these damn things in.

Finally, after the second set of pads, I went to AutoZone (which I don't care much for either) and they had the right set off the bat. I bought a set of duramax cobra pads for about 55 bucks. You actually get the brake squeakers and needed hardware as well vs advanced auto.

Advanced Auto has been driving me nuts lately, so I've been hitting car quest more and more it seems and then AZ when it's past 6pm.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bah, one more thing to add. Cobra pads are thinner than GT pads because the Cobra rotors are thicket, but use the same caliper (73mm I think). You should be able to just look and tell (at least I was able to).

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the bad thing...I knew about Advance Auto's computer system listing the GT pads for the Cobra,which are the 627's. The 627A's are the actual correct # for the Cobra but I still think they just threw GT pads in the box.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go to hawkspad web site, they have exact pictures and measurements for each
Thanks for telling me about that. I went and checked it out. Cobra pads list at .585 and the GT/V6 pads at .660.

Yep after getting the numbers from Hawk's site and measuring the 627A pads that are suppose to be cobra pads from Advance Auto... They were just a fuzz more than .660 like a GT/V6 pad. :curses: So that answers that question.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I went through the same BS. I finally paid for better pads. They're going to be on the car at least 2 years, so the price isn't that bad. Funny that I was trying to save a few dollars...but saved up enough money to put AFRs, T-56, MM suspension and other stuff on my car. Hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts