Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't the usual "can it be done" thread lol. I'm getting ready to do the whole swap, dash, door panels, console etc. I'll be using all autometer gauges with a custom florida50 cluster so I don't have to get CRAZY with the wiring.

Here's my questions I seen a few different threads thru a search about what steering column to use and how to get the dash to fit just right (notching the tube 3" tube). What's the easiest way to do this? meaning steering column wise and what not. I'm sure as the years go by and it's getting more popular and there's easier ways to do it. I'm probably going to be using a black 1998 dash with the no clock. as much as I like the dark charcoal I think the black with my silver might look better.

Any recent write ups or how too's would be great. I know 89blackstang and fastoleman have done it and it looked great.

Thanks! :salute:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
All I can say is it's not hard, but very time consuming. I put a 03 dash in my 92 and used the 03 steering column. The SN95 stering column bolts to the dash bracing not the firewall like a Fox. So the dash has to be bolted in ver firm or the column will wiggle around. Also you have to mate the heater box with the heater ducting on the dash, in my case there was about a 1" gap. I used a spacer out of 1.5" ridged foam insulation. Hers a pic or two.

·
Registered
131 Posts
All I can say is it's not hard, but very time consuming. I put a 03 dash in my 92 and used the 03 steering column. The SN95 stering column bolts to the dash bracing not the firewall like a Fox. So the dash has to be bolted in ver firm or the column will wiggle around. Also you have to mate the heater box with the heater ducting on the dash, in my case there was about a 1" gap. I used a spacer out of 1.5" ridged foam insulation. Hers a pic or two.

That looks soo nice. Could you take a closer pic of the side by the door hinges?

·
Registered
240 Posts
the SSN95 dash makes the fox interior look more modern!

·
Registered
914 Posts
MikeC

I bought a 94-98 dash with the dash harness and I was wondering how did you do the wiring on this??

I've heard it's a lot of splicing, and connecting, but I was brainstorming and wondering if I could take the engine/harness out of a 94/95 5.0 car, use it in my 93 Foxbody GT (building a 408W EFI), and then connect the 94/95 5.0 harness to the 94-98 dash harness without having to do all of that????

·
Registered
158 Posts
You forgot if you want to use the SN95 steering wheel you have to cut the firewall and add a piece from an SN car to hold in the column bearing

·
Registered
773 Posts
How do you get the digital readout for the odometer to work?

Barry

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can someone point me to a "how to" thread for this swap? This is my next winter winter project and would like to round up the parts over the next few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To MikeC and An82Mustang
and anyone who can help me with my longtime dream project.
I am buying a 2001 mustang GT interior for my 1990 fox GT. I need as much help as possible VA Email, photo, and or step by step installation instructions or point me to a right direction as to who I can do this.
Question 1. Can I use gauge cluster form a 01 Mustang on to a 90 fox and have the speedometer, tachometer, volt, oil, temp and fuel gauges to work?
Question 2. How do I make all other electric components work?
Question 3. How to get the steering to fit properly with rack or u joint?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts