Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any differences between the SN95 and Fox mustang FMS aluminum drive shafts.

they both have T5's and 8.8 so I would expect the DR shaft ends to be the same but what about the lengths from center to center of the yokes?

If somebody has the measurements on hand or a link with measurements, that would be great. thanks

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I'd love to find a factory driveshaft (aluminum) that would fit the Bird.I've wondered about the length of the SN-95's as well.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I beleive they are the same lenght. Ford made up the extra different by lenghting the bellhousing.

Not 100% sure though. The 4.6L AL ds is the same but with a different yoke for the t-45/t3650.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im actually looking into trading my fox FMS aluminum DR shaft for a SN95 version because I thought it was longer. my new question would be what year aerostars have the aluminum shafts, also do any year Ford rangers have the aluminum shafts orany other vehicals for that matter, I just need a longer then Fox aluminum shaft. thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think the length from u joint to u joint is 45.5 in. they are the same lenth from a fox body to a sn-95 5.0 car those drive shafts are even the same lenth in a 95 lightning

·
3,694 Posts
If it means anything, i took the aluminum driveshaft from my 89 GT w/T5 and threw it in my 00GT w/4R70W. I did, however, swap the yoke that slides into the tail of the tranny. Seems to run just fine.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ok, along these lines... I have an older Tremec TKO in my '86. I know hte yoke was swapped onto the stocker when the swap was done long ago...

Would the FMS aluminum DS for the newer cars go right in, or is the spline yet another kind of different?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The T45/3650/4r70W use the 31 spline yoke like the tremec.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I got a Crown Vic cop car aluminum driveshaft for free the other day,sent it to Precision Drive in Oklahoma City,and the shortened and balanced it,new u-joints,ready to bolt in for $108.00.Not bad at all.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The T45/3650/4r70W use the 31 spline yoke like the tremec.
Then why does Ford advertise the "J" model with 31 spline yoke for manual transmission? I have an aluminum driveshaft for a fox and wanted to know if it'll fit with just swapping on the stoke yoke?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
do u know the OD of that shaft?
3.5 inches. Just like most aftermarket shafts. That thing weighs nothing compared to the stock steel shaft.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Then why does Ford advertise the "J" model with 31 spline yoke for manual transmission? I have an aluminum driveshaft for a fox and wanted to know if it'll fit with just swapping on the stoke yoke?
Im going to guess because the 4R70W may be a different length?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Both "G" and "J" aluminum driveshafts show 45.5" lengths. The only difference is the yokes - "G" being 28 spline and "J" being 31 spline. There's gotta be someone who actually has done this already. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
my new question would be what year aerostars have the aluminum shafts, also do any year Ford rangers have the aluminum shafts orany other vehicals for that matter
I think every aerostar I have seen in the junkyard had an aluminum shaft, the problem is most junkyards move the cars around with a forklift-type lifter which pinches the driveshaft since it is so long/hangs down lower than the gas tank.

Rangers I don't think had an aluminum shaft . . . I have an 02 and my father has a 95 and both have a steel shaft.

Along the lines of an aerostar shaft, they have to be very thin. They are like a 3.5" OD but weigh half what a motorsport shaft weighs.

The logical junkyard choice for a good ford aluminum driveshaft are the ones out of Mark VIIIs.

·
USAF retired
9,146 Posts
thought the 4r70w is a 28 spline like the aod.
The ID is the same on the AOD and 4R70W, the difference is the OD of the snout. A D/S from a AOD car will work in a 4R70W trans, but it'll leak because the snout isn't near the seal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts