Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant figure out why this turbo still smokes. just had it rebuilt again it still smoking out my down pipe, let the car sit and oil drips from the down pipe.

called precision and they said i didnt need a restrictor. could it be my return?

precision 78 gts turbo with 4 an and 10 an return

·
Registered
994 Posts
What are you using to vent the crankcase? Too much crankcase pressure will restrict the oil return flow back into the pan.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I heard the same thing time and again...

I had to get a scavenger pump and restrictor to be 100% sure....never had smoke again

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
how much oil pressure does your car make, anything more than 30-35 can be rough on your average turbo..... restrictors are sometimes necessary.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Barring any internal engine failures, this points to either a bad turbo seal or a kinked/blocked/otherwise restricted turbo oil return line.
What he said.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Install a restrictor

Also, is the drain line down hill the whole way?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4an feed 10 an return. Motor was dynoed n/a and is in perfect shaft. The smoke is from the turbo.

Idle cold has 80 lbs hot at idle is 45 and WOT hot is 70-75

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
4an feed 10 an return. Motor was dynoed n/a and is in perfect shaft. The smoke is from the turbo.

Idle cold has 80 lbs hot at idle is 45 and WOT hot is 70-75
yeah that's a LOT of pressure..I would definitely run a restrictor...I made a little less than you and had similiar issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts