Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at converting a stockish 73 mach one 351 4v to an electric fuel pump while im puting in a new timing chain.
Looking at
Mr. Gasket 12S - Mr. Gasket Micro Electronic Fuel Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com or
Mr. Gasket 42S - Mr. Gasket Micro Electronic Fuel Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

can either of these be run with a a regulator? just to get the car running and driving.
Currently features a 750 4150 holley. and a mechanical fuel pump. I didnt want to put the ecentric back on or the pump if i could just plumb in an electric unit.
NOT building a 400HP engine. it is fairly stock .

Any suggestions? or an over the counter electric fuel pump i could use? like from some 84 chevy truck or something when they were starting to convert to electric stuff. which of those two pumps would be better?. if i require a regulator can i just grab a 19$ crap unit? again NOT a performance build. just a351C with a edlebrok intake . 750carb and an exhaust.

Thanks in advance!! please help.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
i did this years ago when putting an HO 302 into a 4x4 ranger. i decided to go carb but the truck already had factory fuel pumps wired in. they have two pumps, one in the tank that puts out only 6psi (exactly what you need for a carb), and a booster pump on the drivers frame rail that bumps the pressure up significantly higher. i left the one in the tank wired to the ignition switch, and yanked out the booster pump and ran the tank pump and line right to the carb. ran fine for years that way!

years later when i wanted to go to EFI, i bolted all the efi stuff in place, put the booster pump back in place, made an EFI harness to fit the ranger, and it worked great too.

so, if you want something cheap to get it running, grab an in-tank 87 ranger pump, doesnt matter what engine

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will need an external pump for this 73 i believe..

that summit pump looks like a bit to much for a stocker car that is a weekend top down muscle cruiser.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
i will need an external pump for this 73 i believe..

that summit pump looks like a bit to much for a stocker car that is a weekend top down muscle cruiser.
That holley red pump is a perfect pump for a weekend muscle car and still give some room for if you ever decide to push the power up some . That pump is rated at 97gph free flow its closer to 70gph @7psi also I would run a 1/2" line so if you ever upgrade the motor you will not need to spend money again on a bigger fuel line .

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at this point i have a stockish 73 mach one with no timing cover on it .and no FP because i just took them off to put in a new chain. Im not going to change the lines. and there wont be any more HP during my ownership. as it is my mothers top down weekend convertible.

·
Registered
691 Posts
then use the red pump and be done with it. My old man runs one in his 65 Sunbeam tiger. Ford 260 and it has no problems non regulated.

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
It makes absolutely no difference to the engine whether the cam has an eccentric on it or not. Why not just leave the mechanical pump on there until you're ready to do this right the first time?

I have that Mr. Gasket pump on my 302 Ranger with a 500 CFM 2 barrel, it works and it's cheap. You can put it on a 750 to get around with IF you don't try to go full throttle.

Carb systems shouldn't use a regulator, that is a waste of parts and something else to go wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm running one of those holley gearator style pumps,MUCH quieter than a vane pump. Self regulated at 5 to 7 lbs, mine stays at 6 lbs. I like this because it is much quieter. Of course you have to get a second morgageto pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
the holley red is enough. a carter mechanical pump is an easy up grade too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts