Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do 3055 S MT tires 28x10.50's typically last before they should be replaced?

My car stresses the tires pretty bad. It is 3200 lbs and does 1.2 60ft. I seem to be having more trouble than before getting full passes without pushing out of the groove.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Only input I can give is for a Hoosier 26 X 8.5 slick. running low 5's in the 1/8 mile at 130 plus mph, they were done after about 38-40 hits. This is with tubes on a 10" double beadlock wheel with about 14 psi. Also low 1.3 to high 1.2 60'. This may or may not be relevant. I heard that the M/T in a 26 X 8.5 was good for only about 10 passes. This was last year in Vegas for SCSN. This was the bias ply M/T, not the radial.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
My experience with that tire is that they are done in 50 passes. The treads are not "worn out", but they would get inconsistent. When I started seeing the 60's move around, I would sell them and buy new. Similar 60' times, mid 1.20's NA, but my car was considerably lighter at 2450 race weight. Keep in mind I was bracket racing and when I say 60' times were moving around, the norm was 1.25 to 1.28 depending on the weather (hot vs cold). When they'd get "worn", I'd see a 1.32 on one pass, then next pass-almost identical track conditions-might see a 1.26. Occasionally I'd notice the rear end wanting to move a little too, especially between the 60' and 330' at the local track.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
pretty much as todd said... when we ran slicks we replaced them when the 60's fell off.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have new tires on the way. I'm debating trying 28-10.50x15 Hoosiers along with MT's in a few back to back tests. It would only cost me an extra $400 to do that. :)

I can't find any definitive answer as to which is actually better.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I made a few test passes with new Hoosier tires. It took about four passes for the tires to condition the tire surface and get right.

Rear tires fixed it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts