Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone doing for radials on 15x3.5" rims?

Ive always run bias ply's on my bigs/lils but im going radials this time, looking at Hoosier 275/50's but dont know what to do about the front...

I know the little VW tires, 165/85 Nexen's or Kumho's are popular, but do yall really trust them at speed?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 26x6R15 is what i'm using. I have ran the pep boys tires in the past but now that i'm alittle older I wouldn't go back to a cheap front tire.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw MT had a radial skinny too, and thought about em... i would be more comfortable at speed with them over generic 165's.

How do they fit the 3.5" rim?
Reason i ask is because M&H also makes a front skinny radial, but they list it as needing like 5-6" rims. Say they are 185's

Ive been running 26x7.50 Sportsman bias', and they are still like new basically, but i dont wanna mix them with radial rear tires...

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
The Bias ply fronts will be fine with the radial rears. x275 guys are using them with no issues.

I have the new MT SR fronts and they are nice but very big $$ switched from VW fronts

Tim

·
Registered
655 Posts
NHRA wouldn't let you run those 155's and 165's if they had any history of failure.
Tire speed ratings are based on sustained running, not a 1/4 mile shot.
I wouldn't run crazy speeds with them, however.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Check the load rating on any skinny tire you plan to use. If you have a 3200lbs car with 54% of the weight on the front (1728LBS). Each front tire must comfortably support 864lbs. Give yourself some margin for error and get a tire with a higher load rating. Skinny front tire are pretty cheap. I would change them out every 2-3 years to be on the safe side. I had the tread come off an old skinny on the highway at 65MPH, and that was scary enough. I can't imagine how much fun that would be at 110+ MPH.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I run Kumho Power Star 758 165/80/15 tires that have a 87T rating.
(87 = 1201lbs and T = 118mph rating.)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
skinny tire failures at the track usually happen on decell, when the weight transfers forward
on my 65 VW I had years ago, I had 115/15s on the front, but that was definetly unsafe at speed. I also never seen a tire that small on a car since then

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I had a nexon tire blow out and ended up repairing a fender and was thankful I didn't lose a wheel. This was while driving at a comfortable 65 mph. Can't imagine if it happened at the track. Real skinnies are also lighter and can handle heavier loads. The advice above about gettin tires that can handle the correct weight is dead on.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd def rather use the MT SRs or M&H skinnies, or my current MT Sportsman bias ply's

anyone have pics of 3.5" wheels with the SRs or M&H 185s??

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I had a nexon tire blow out and ended up repairing a fender and was thankful I didn't lose a wheel. This was while driving at a comfortable 65 mph. Can't imagine if it happened at the track. Real skinnies are also lighter and can handle heavier loads. The advice above about gettin tires that can handle the correct weight is dead on.
Same thing happened to my friend in his 03 Cobra. Riding down I10 one day......BOOM front skinny blew, off into the median he went. I was in another friend's 03 Cobra when it blew a tire at 130 (slowing down from 140), but it kept air in the tire, the tread cap blew off. It destroyed his front bumper too.

Cobras are pretty nose heavy but still. I have had a cheap 215 separate on me before in my Z28, nothing like driving on your rim after a tire beats your fender all to hell and back.

S rated tires suck.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well in the end it didnt matter anyways...

After a decent conversation with Hoosier yesterday he talked me out of radials, so im staying bias ply for now.

Ive had ET Street bias' and M&H (which i loved), but ima try the QTP's this time, 26x11.50 15's. I like the fact they get more tread width per section width so lets hope i like em.

Anyways, becauese of that im just keeping my Sportsmans up front

1 - 20 of 24 Posts