Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Single wins on simplicity alone. Power is very comparable. Ultimately, you could make more power with twins, but most folks aren't going to go to that level. I went with twins for the hell of it, but if I had to do it again, I'd go single.

Oh... but twins do have that cool factor. :D

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Usually it depends on mounting room more than anything.

Both work equally well.
2 small turbos cost about the same as one big 1.

Sometimes there is just not room to mount a big a single with
big downpipe, but 2 small turbos with 2 small downpipes will fit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
IMO, its same-same. You might spend a little bit more on twins because you are buying two of everthing. And what has already been mentioned.

Where the issue arise is improperly sized turbo's whether it be single or twin.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If you are buying new turbo's, twins are likely going to be a bit more expensive (unless you're looking at ebay hiar dryers).

Twins are going to be a bit less laggy than even a properly sized single.

As for complexity, they are actually somewhat comparable. The hot-side of a twin is straight back down to the h-pipe while a single has to factor in a cross-over with a flex-pipe for the headers and a y-pipe if you plan on running a dual exhaust. The cold side of a twin kit is a bit more complex, as you will need either a merge pipe or a dual inlet/single outlet intercooler…while the single is one pipe straight through.

Considering many turbo’s that you would see used for a twin setup have internal wasteagates and you only need one BOV located after the intercooler….there really isn’t any extra expense except perhaps a bit extra for the turbo’s themselves.

Both will produce great power and similar ET’s at the same boost levels. The coolness factor with a twin setup however is HUGE with outsiders. You can have two turbo mustangs side by side….and the twin setup will always get more OOOOh’s and AAAAAh’s.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Both will produce great power and similar ET’s at the same boost levels. The coolness factor with a twin setup however is HUGE with outsiders. You can have two turbo mustangs side by side….and the twin setup will always get more OOOOh’s and AAAAAh’s.

That's the truth!! When I was at pinks all out, my buddy had his twin turbo'd ls1 camaro and we pitted next to each other then parked our cars nose to nose. My hood was off and his was open. He basically had a line of people he shoulda sold tickets is what I told him. My junk aint the prettiest but twins turn heads...pretty much in all cases.:leghump:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
When I have bought turbos in the past the two smaller ones never really offset the cost of one large one. The wastegates did tend to run up cost a little more but nothing substantial.
Right, it does cost more, but no where near double. Maybe 10-20% more ....depending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts