Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound stupid but I have been reading about some of you with sticks side stepping or 2 step during launch, what is that? I have a stick and with slicks I was under the impression bring the rpms up and let the clutch fly. What don't I know?:confused:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Side stepping is pretty much what it sounds like, it's not for everyone. You have to have your setup just right, a setup that will hook with such an agressive launch. Many people have to "learn" how to slip the clutch either to keep from blowing the tires off or getting around a bog situation. Using a "2 step" is a great tool for both standards and automatics. It's basically a dual stage rev limiter, usually the first setting at a lower rpm than the second. When activated ( alot of standard shift guys wire the switch into the clutch pedal) the unit limits the rpm to what ever limit chip you install, so you can sit at the starting line with the accelerator floored and maintain a steady "low" rpm for consistency on every launch. When the button/clutch is released the unit defaults to the second or "high" rpm limit for engine protection. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
side stepping it literally putting your foot on the edge of the clutch pedal. and when she goes green (third yellow rather) letting the clutch violently pop itself. i think its very hard on the car when you do this though.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
2step is the best way to go. You can control launch RPM and create some consistency.

You can wire the 2step into a button on the steering wheel, some have the button on the shifter handle. Just need to learn how to let go of the button while you let off the clutch.

Go to www.nmraracing.com and watch some videos of Pure Street and Real Street and you will hear how the 2step works.

Also FYI I run a 2step on my C4, about 800 rpms under the stall of the converter to help the converter hit a little harder and to have some consistency.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2step is the best way to go. You can control launch RPM and create some consistency.

You can wire the 2step into a button on the steering wheel, some have the button on the shifter handle. Just need to learn how to let go of the button while you let off the clutch.
And if you don't want to have to remember to let go of the button, an even better way is to wire the 2-step through the clutch pedal and a momentary switch (mine is on the steering wheel). When you light the second bulb, clutch foot to the floor, hit the switch and the two-step is activated. Let the clutch fly and the circuit is opened. MSD has a wiring diagram on their site.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice video, how did you do on that pass?

·
Registered
145 Posts
And if you don't want to have to remember to let go of the button, an even better way is to wire the 2-step through the clutch pedal and a momentary switch (mine is on the steering wheel). When you light the second bulb, clutch foot to the floor, hit the switch and the two-step is activated. Let the clutch fly and the circuit is opened. MSD has a wiring diagram on their site.
I looked on the MSD site but could not find it. Can you tell me where on the site. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts