Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor had 190,000 miles on it, so I replaced it with a motor with 74,000 miles on it. While it was out the mechanic put an E cam in it, with new valve springs and valve seals.

The rocker arms seem to be making a lot more noise than they did before. Should they? Did he forget to tighten something? I haven't pulled the valve covers yet, but I will if I need to. The motor also has a miss to it. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, module (old one was dead), and fuel filter. I don't know what else to do. ???

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
are they roller rockers (adjustable studmounts) or just pedistal mount rollers rockers???

If they are adjustable (studmount) pray that they were not over tightened and ruined your cam like mine...if they are lose they will make noise (studmounts i mean). Get them adjusted by someone who really knows their stuff or you'll regret it.

if they are pedistal types they are tighten to specified torque and thats it..if its messed up somehow then pedistals would make a noise.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

could be just a rocker going bad , considering that they are correctly tightened. or a lifter might not be right...check them out

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing though, I don't know if they ARE tightened correctly. Maybe the mechanic forgot to do something. Should I just remove the valve covers and make sure they are all tight? I've replaced an intake before, but I have never dealt with heads and rocker arms.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
rockers

if you said they were stock style, meaning the originals from ford factory, then you could just take the valve covers off and tighten them some. checking to see if one might be loose. for factory style rockers its just a tighten and go thing. for studmounts, (like roller rockers) different story. If you have a regular oil pump(not high volume oil pump) you could start your engine with valve covers off, making sure the car doesnt revup, just idleing, and tighten them a little while its on but thats really more for roller rocker adjustments. if you dont like the idea of turning it on without covers, just tighten them, close covers and try it out...keep me updated...thanks :)

·
Registered
35,355 Posts
Do you know for sure the condition of the motor you put in the car? Were the roller lifters new or used? Were they making noise before? Installed properly, the rockers shouldn't make any more noise than they did with the stock cam. There is a very specific procedure for installing the rockers - you don't just tighten them. Each pair should be installed when the lifters for the pair are on the base circle of the cam - that is, the valves are completely closed. The rocker arm bolt should be tightened by hand until there is zero lash - that is, no gap between either the pushrod end or the valve stem end. From that point they should be torqued to 17-20 ft-lbs, and that torque should be reached somewhere between 1/4 turn and 1 turn of the bolt. If it takes more than 1 turn you may have to place a shim under that rocker fulcrum. The shims come in .030", .060" and .090" thicknesses, but it's likely if all your components are stock that the only one you may need on some of the valves is the .030" thickness. Each one of those will reduce the number of turns to torque by about 1/4 turn. I'd ask the mechanic if that's the procedure he/she used, and if not, I'd go back and reinstall each pair accordingly.

Also, the E cam with stock heads is not a very good choice - I'm not sure your mechanic did you any favors with that selection unless you're planning on modding other things soon. The E cam is identical to Crane's PowerMax 2040 (Crane makes it for FRPP) and it's designed to be used with modified heads, intake, exhaust, gears. Crane recommends not using it at all with an automatic. An E cam with stock components will likely produce overall poorer performance than the stock cam, along with poorer gas mileage and worse emissions, just to rub salt in the wound.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Michael,
A very good friend of mine bought a wrecked '91 with 74,000 miles on it, with plans to fix it. It was going to cost too much to repair the body, so he parted out the car. I got the motor for $200. The rocker arms aren't rollers, they are just plain jane arms from Ford (OE). So, should I just check to see if they are tight, or should I take it back to the mechanic?

I plan on heads (AFR 165's) in the future (to go w/ the cam). The car currently has a Trick Flow intake, 65 TB, 75 MAF, 1 5/8 long tubes, 2 1/2" exhaust, 3:73's, & a '93 Cobra T-5.

·
Registered
35,355 Posts
The procedure I listed is the same for all pedestal mount rockers - rollers or stock. The cam will like the better heads that are coming and the gears you've got - good for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Michael. I think I'll let the pro's look at it. It's just missing and I am grasping at straws as to why. I thought maybe the rocker arms were a little too much noise. I was just outside messing with the car and they don't sound as loud now. I think I've lost my mind. This car is voodoo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts