Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in plumbing my wastegate in to the exhaust but am concerned with hurting the performance does anyone know about this? its a master power 70mm with a 96 a/r. will this slow the spool time or seriously cost power? im changing the exhaust after moving the engine back and id like my car to sound less like a rocket ship.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys consider it done. what do you guys have from the down pipe back im also tryin to decide what to do there.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
im interested in plumbing my wastegate in to the exhaust but am concerned with hurting the performance does anyone know about this? its a master power 70mm with a 96 a/r. will this slow the spool time or seriously cost power? im changing the exhaust after moving the engine back and id like my car to sound less like a rocket ship.
did you ever complete this step? how does the wg get plumbed back into the exhaust?
do you or anyone else have pics of this?

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i am finished i plumbed it in to a 3.5 going back to the stock muffler location into a dynatech split flow it sounds ALOT better. It still spools quick. I just absolutly hate the way it sounded before. I wish i did it long ago. I see no reason not to. Ill get some video of me runnin out of fuel at the dyno soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
736 Posts
ive always liked mine vented to atmosphere...when shes screamin you know its on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
help the plumb

[On the GLHS I have a tubular header system with an external wastegate that has two ports and a threaded set screw in top of the spring assembly. It came with a few different rate springs but dissasembleing the 'hat' to change springs is a PIA. To this point I have just put in the spring that allows 10 PSI with the set screw all the way 'open' and about 14 with it all the way turned in.

When I run manifold pressure to the top port, the gate doesn't open at all, when I run manifold pressure to the bottom port, it opens at the level the the spring is set to.

So obviously the boost controller gets plumbed in between the two ports. I have a couple manual boost controllers I can use. One is an older HKS MBC (manual boost controller). also I have some Grainger valves.

So any ideas on the sequence of how they get hooked up? Do I just run maniflod pressure into the controller, then to a "T" with one leg of each T going to top and bottom ports? I have dug through my stack of Turbo/Sport Copmpact Car magazines and though plenty of those cars run external gates, it looks like both ports are hooked up, just can't tell in which order

Mopars at the Strip is just 8 days away...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
yeah.. I'm also confused on plumbing a boost controller. if you look at websites like tial and turbosmart none of their diagrams show any lines connected to the waste gates top port. however, I've seen threads on this site where the boost controller is teed to the bottom and top port so I'm definitely confused.
why would the boost controller not just go inline between the pressure source and the waste gate and leave the top port of the waste gate open? what's the purpose of adding the top port to the equation?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My car has the waste gate vented to atmosphere...here is the catch, the previous owner fabbed a small muffler to the gate exhaust pipe. Works like a charm, can't even tell the gate is vented to atmosphere. I can't tell at all if it hurt performance, but it made 737 rwhp and 724 rwtq, so you be the judge. :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
yeah.. I'm also confused on plumbing a boost controller. if you look at websites like tial and turbosmart none of their diagrams show any lines connected to the waste gates top port. however, I've seen threads on this site where the boost controller is teed to the bottom and top port so I'm definitely confused.
why would the boost controller not just go inline between the pressure source and the waste gate and leave the top port of the waste gate open? what's the purpose of adding the top port to the equation?
depends on the MBC and how you want to plumb it. I have a turbonetics MBC and have it teed.
http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/365345-manual-boost-controller-help?highlight=manual+boost+controller+install

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts