Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a new Midsize SUV but everything I’ve seen all come with the auto start/stop feature which I hate but can be turned off every time the vehicle gets driven. The biggest thing that is bothering me is that they all seem to have Direct Injection Engines and have read all the bad stuff about the carbon build up with very few miles. I’d like to keep this vehicle for 10 plus years if possible without having to deal with major repairs. Any of you fellas have any experience with these new vehicles and if so how are they holding up? It will be a daily driver for the family so reliability is very important. Also, I’m 6’4” so leg room in the front is also important. I drove a Nissan Rouge on a 22 hour road trip and it was horrible on my legs after a few hours.

These are some of the vehicles we have been looking at but have not test drove any of them:

Ford Edge
Nissan Murano
Honda CRV
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Volkswagen Tiguan
Volkswagen Atlas
Mazda CX-9
Kia Sorento
Hyundai Santa Fe

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Well your problem is you aren’t looking at Toyota. Only vehicles I’d buy. I’m on my 8th Toyota Truck. Never buy anything else

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
if your looking for something to keep for a while the best bet is a mopar.

Dodge offers a secret lifetime warranty on a majority of their non performance and non diesel vehicles.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well your problem is you aren’t looking at Toyota. Only vehicles I’d buy. I’m on my 8th Toyota Truck. Never buy anything else
Toyota is great. Purchased a new 2017 tundra 4x4 Crew Max but got rid of it after a year. Fuel mileage was horrible for me and I have a light foot. Was even worse when I had to haul my tractor to the ranch. Other than that it was a very good truck but I ended up getting into a new Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. Doesn't have all the nice interior stuff like the Tundra had but it gets way better fuel mileage and pulls like a SOB.

I looked at the 4runner but it's a little out of the price range we are trying to stay in. Might have to look back into it though and see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if your looking for something to keep for a while the best bet is a mopar.

Dodge offers a secret lifetime warranty on a majority of their non performance and non diesel vehicles.
Do their lifetime warranties really work though? Will they find some way to weasel out of covering the repair due to some bull #### excuse.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Toyota is great. Purchased a new 2017 tundra 4x4 Crew Max but got rid of it after a year. Fuel mileage was horrible for me and I have a light foot. Was even worse when I had to haul my tractor to the ranch. Other than that it was a very good truck but I ended up getting into a new Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. Doesn't have all the nice interior stuff like the Tundra had but it gets way better fuel mileage and pulls like a SOB.

I looked at the 4runner but it's a little out of the price range we are trying to stay in. Might have to look back into it though and see what I can find.
I 100% agree with the MPG issue. My 16 tundra is a pig. I trailer my car and have a sled deck for snowmobiling, both kill my mpg. I also have a 04’ 4Runner w/ 4.7L in it. With 33” tires it only gets about 15.5 mpg. Also, they are not cheap vehicles. But in my opinion, they’re the best trucks and SUV’s out there. Of course I’m a heavily biased Toyota fan, after owing 8 trucks. They just don’t seem to have the little issues like other makes. My trucks have only ever needed brakes and the infamous O2 sensors. No biggie compared to all the problems other buddies have with their “other makes”.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Haven't driven a single one of those, but the 3.5 V6 Edge is not DI. I would not buy a turbo anything expecting to drive it for 10 years without any issues. Keep it simple and take care of it and you will get 10 years for sure. Has 280 hp too.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't driven a single one of those, but the 3.5 V6 Edge is not DI. I would not buy a turbo anything expecting to drive it for 10 years without any issues. Keep it simple and take care of it and you will get 10 years for sure. Has 280 hp too.
Thanks. Will look into the V6 Edge and see what I can find close by. We currently have a 2009 Lincoln MKX that has been pretty good but for the last year we have been having an electrical intermittent issue with the anti-theft system and leaves the vehicle not wanting to start and the shops are having a hard time trying to track down the issue so instead of dropping more money into we decided to get rid of it.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
If you buy a Ford, chances are the auto start/stop feature can be disabled by a program called Forscan. How it's done is vehicle dependant, but you pretty much just change one bit in the as_built data and it's disabled.

Technically the dealer can do it, but good luck finding one that will actually do it for you. There's a few things that can be changed, like the number of blinks of the turn signal when you half-press the stalk. Default is 3. But you can actually change it so it's anywhere from 1 to 7. I kinda settled on 5.

Probably not the type of answer you were looking for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As for the Dodge warranty my mom has a 2009 Challenger and has had good luck with covering repairs, like all Chrysler products I have known you will need warranty from all the stupid items that fail on them.
My dad has a 2015 F150 with 3.5 non turbo engine that he likes very much. Not big on power but tows his boat at about 5,000 lbs just twice a year and been towing my Miata on trailer about same weight several times a year and since he's had it has been getting 23.4 MPG. Goes down interstate at 70 no problem towing with some down shifting going up hills.

·
11,039 Posts
Twenty years ago I bought a turbo pinto... I mean a Merkur XR4. No problems for 8 years, then I gave it to my brother in law and he drove it another fiver years or so. The thing ate AC compressors (genius designers put the compressor three inches from the snail), but that's not the motor's fault.

All manufacturers are going to DI. Better mpgs, more power, lower emissions... I say go for it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Twenty years ago I bought a turbo pinto... I mean a Merkur XR4. No problems for 8 years, then I gave it to my brother in law and he drove it another fiver years or so. The thing ate AC compressors (genius designers put the compressor three inches from the snail), but that's not the motor's fault.

All manufacturers are going to DI. Better mpgs, more power, lower emissions... I say go for it.
One of the issues from Direct Injection is Carbon Build Up, I kinda like the way they solved this on my Tacoma as it has DI and Traditional Injectors and switches back and forth to keep things clean.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Do their lifetime warranties really work though? Will they find some way to weasel out of covering the repair due to some bull #### excuse.
yes the dodge warranties are backed by dodge themselves. Dodge's warranties are second to none. I used to work the pipelines and we had a guy that had a mid 2000s ram truck with over 700k miles, 7 transmissions, 3 engines, a whole new ac system and they even replaced the suspension and brake rotors - all replaced free by the dealer with the lifetime warranty. I'll never buy any other vehicle brand new other than a mopar for that simple fact. The lifetime warranty covers everything other than body panels paint seats belts and brake pads. Everything else covered. They even replaced the speakers at one point if i recall correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts