Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So next month I have an electrician coming over to wire my garage. It has no plugs on walls so will have some by garage door, in front of car and by my bench.

But posting to look for ideas. I need to light up the work area. Was thinking LED lights mounted to the ceiling not the hang style. Any recommendations from your set ups. I want it lit up like a surgical center lol

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
My 2 car garage had two pull chain socket lights with a paid of 40Watt bulbs. Needless to say, this wasn't going to fly.

Shortly after moving in, I installed five, 4-foot T5HO fixtures with 2 bulbs each. Each bulb is 54 watt, and output is about 4500 lumens each bulb. So 10 bulbs at 4500 lumens each = pretty damn bright.

I looked at LED shop lights, but the cost was high and wasn't impressed with the output. I realize the electric cost of running t5HO's would be higher, but the end result is worth it. I can see VERY well when working on my car.

I did the install myself, but I used to be an electrician.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I know this is no help to this thread but the coolest garage lighting set up I had ever come across was a guy that bought the light fixture at auction, it was out of a Surgical Room in the Hospital.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I picked up 12 8' T8 fixtures from a tornado-damaged Dollar General store, with all working bulbs, for $125-for all of it. 12 fixtures with 4 bulbs=48 bulbs. I wanted LED's for the better efficiency, and they last longer...and no ballast. BUT, the cost to retrofit 48 bulbs was $13.45 per bulb, with tax I was looking at over $650. That's JUST the bulbs, not counting any wire or retrofit "kit" I might have needed.

My normal electric bill for the shop is $13.00 a month. I am not out there with the lights on 24/7. Maybe a couple hours a night after work. It would take a LONG time for a return on the $650 investment. If I saved $5/month, that's 130 months or almost 11 years.

The F40T8's will stay until they die, and then I might think more about it.

As far as light goes, mine is 30x40, with 12 fixtures I have it wire in 3 rows. Middle, South, and North, with 3 switches. Middle row has 4 fixtures. South end has 3 North end has 5, with one dedicated right over the top of the work bench. When I'm working on the car or something, in the middle of the shop, the middle row is plenty of light. If my dad's over (his eyes are not good) we have everything on, all 3 rows. Walls are all white. The floor will be light colored epoxy soon. Currently bare concrete. I have zero problem seeing. Is it surgical bright? not quite-but close. It is to the point that if it's dark outside and I am done for the night, I turn all the lights out and have to sit and wait a few minutes for my eyes to adjust so I can safely walk back to the house. If there's more than 1/2 moon and the sky is clear, it's not as bad but you get the idea. The walls help a LOT. we have a lighter gray floor at work (epoxy) and it's even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts