Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a quick question. Please take a look at my sig and tell me at what r.p.m. I should shift at. I've been shifting at 5300 and I feel like I'm shortchanging myself. How much r.p.m. is safe with my fresh motor w/o breakage

·
Registered
71 Posts
At the track, try shifting around 5700-5800 RPM and see if your ET perks up. You should be able to launch pretty hard providing you can warm up those Hoosiers. I launch at ~5000 RPM with ET Streets and get a 1.75 60ft.

Make sure to follow the proper break-in procedure for your new engine before all this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have a 1992 automatic convert. with a shift kit, and i shift it at about 5800 or so, but my car is slow

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
1hot lower your shift points to 5200-5300 and you will run quicker with your mods. Been there done that.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you've dynoed your car, check out your torque curve. Shift right above your highest torque reading so you're rpms will fall into the torque range. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
no it does not make sense.
if that were that case we'd be shifting our stockers at 3500 rpm or less.

foxbodyordeath,
try different shift points, I'd start with 5600 and work up and down from there with your mod's.

1hot50,
I agree, try 5200 or handy.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
shift points

Try increasing shift points from 5400 up, by increments of 200 RPM. ET is a function of hooking up, MPH is a function of power. Increase your shift points until MPH starts to decrease. Then, drop back to the previous shift point that gave you the best MPH.

Do you have an aftermarket tachometer? The stock tach is hardly accurate. My buddies stock tach reads 7000 RPM's when the autogage reads 6000 RPM's. Just food for thought.....James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts