Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long battle bouncing off the rev limiter trying to follow the factory gauge, I’m going to be installing a raptor shift light that’s driven off the coils. I’m hoping now I can accurately set the light to my rev rpm which is 6500. Being the only gauge I’m monitoring as I go down the track, is there any advantage to setting the light under the limit? I realize there is a reaction time between seeing the light and shifting and am wondering if anyone else sets there’s up this way to flash before the rev limiter, which gives them the extra tenth or so to actually bang the next gear?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Set about 500 less than what your mark to allow for driver and car reaction.

·
Registered
471 Posts
With an automatic with a shift kit or manual valve body and some seat time with the shift light you can probably tighten it down to 200 RPM. My car doesn't pull that hard on the top end of the tach, so your results might be different.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I use an audio signal generator or function generator to test my electronics. My friends are now borrowing my generators to dry test their cars.

I generally pull my coil connection from my CD ignition box, connect the generator to the crank trigger, and dry test the ignition and ignition related controls. Of course I can leave the CD box connected and use a junk plug to load the coil or run it through my distributor, but I have to be careful where the rotor is sitting.

This is a simple way to safely verify settings and equipment response.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I generally see a 200-300 rpm difference between my shift light and actual shift, fwiw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts