Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, newbie from the UK with some questions if you don't mind ?

I have a 1988 Thunderbird roller cam 5.0 block

Scat 3.25" cast stroker crank

Scat 5.4" steel rods

Edelbrock performer RPM heads with 1.94" inlet valves

Edelbrock performer RPM 2 intake manifold.

I have already bought a set of Icon forged 10:1 pistons that will almost certainly have to be sold on if I go with a turbocharger.

Not bought a camshaft yet.

My question is what is the maximum reliable boost/horsepower limit of my block if I was to swap to 8.5:1 forged pistons and not rev over 6000 rpm ?

Also what make/size single turbo would you recommend to do the job ?

I don't have enough cash for a dart block...

Sorry if these are dumb questions :eek:

Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Registered
448 Posts
500 to the tires. I would be skeptical pushing it any higher than that or spinning it much past 5500 with a stock block. They're prone to cracking from the main journals to the valley with much more than that. Also with a stroker it will probably put up with a little less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll be leaving it naturally aspirated unless I can scrape up the cash for a decent cylinder block :(

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Swagger, rethink what you said. BHP is crank. If you make 500 at the wheels, you're making more at the crank.

·
Registered
865 Posts
500rwhp is safe all day. I went up to 461rwhp through an aod with my stock block. Lived for years before i got an aftermarket

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it made around 450bhp at the crank and I did not rev it over 6000 would it stand a chance of staying in one piece with the 3.25 inch stroke?

I'm guessing that the engine would make an easy 300bhp at the crank without a turbo so 8lbs of boost would be about right ?

Any suggestions for a single turbo suitable ?

Are main cap girdles worth using ?

Car is a Ford Sierra (Merkur) 5 door hatchback weighing around 2800lbs

T56 from modular V8 Mustang

3.62:1 Diff ratio

Thanks for your patience :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Any 62-70 mm turbo. According to some the girdles are snake oil, they don't work. Others say they are what keeps their combination together. Get a hold of Woody he will set you straight on the girdle question.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Swagger, rethink what you said. BHP is crank. If you make 500 at the wheels, you're making more at the crank.
Yep, You are right my friend. I was just reading earlier that day how someone breaking stuff confusing the two, then threw it out there with out marinating what was posted

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just curious. The RWHP dyno numbers we're talking here, Are we talking corrected or uncorrected?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll throw my hat in here... As far as how much power I'm making, not sure. I'm pretty sure im over the 500fwhp mark though. Mine has a DSS short block with the main support that everyone says does nothing, it's 306", 8.5:1 comp, has a comp XE266HR cam, 185 cnc ported trick flows and a tfs track heat intake. I run a procharger P1SC-2 at [email protected] 11.5:1 air fuel and 20deg timing up top and it gets beat on regularly, probably has 10,000KM on the combo now and hasn't missed a beat. I do have meth injection as well (shooting 600CCs of blue washer fluid) and it lives on a steady diet of ####ty canadian 91 octane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts