Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best matching SEM interior dye for 1993 year model only Opal Grey? Doing a lot of interior resto on my 93 coupe and will need to update a few things with some new dye. Searched--did not see anything on this site.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Let me know if you need some dye/paint. I have probably 4-6 unused cans from LMR, pay shipping and you can have them.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
From my records I have Presidio listed as the closest to smoke. If my memory is correct from other things I’ve seen both on forums and other groups there is no close match to Opal.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Call SEM to see if they still match vinyl dye (they did for a friend many moons ago).
Pop a couple of staples off the back of one of your door panels, enough to cut a small swatch off of it, then staple it back. Send it to them and they will match it for you. You can get it in a can to use in a spray gun or they will put in aerosol (if they still do it).
Hope this helps you. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honestly, no dye will be a perfect match. if you manage to get close to the original OEM color, it still won’t match since other parts have faded. Having restored multiple interiors ( not just Ford), the only way to get it 100% right is to redo all the interior parts using the new dye. This is the only way to make sure everything matches.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I did my entire interior on my '92 GT (Titanium) with Ladera, and it came out really nice. Impressive if I must say so.

Picked up a can of Presidio and it's more like Smoke Gray. Little darker than Opal. I plan on doing the whole interior while it's already out of the car

I'll have to keep trying. Found a local paint shop that sells SEM products and I'll have to see if they can mix anything to match, or at least get close.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@toddturbo...I second calling SEM...I rattle can my engine bay a few years ago and did it nicely....i Wanted to match the color of my car and the guy I talked to did some research on my color and got back to me...the engine bay is 95% match to my car..SEM paint is also top notch

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boy this is harder than Titanium to figure out....

tried Presidio and did a test strip. It's pretty close to smoke but not close to Opal. For those of you who have 87-89 smoke interior, there you go ;)

Tried another one forget what they call it, not even close. So now I've spent $50 on 2 items I can't use.

LMR finally got in touch with me (I guess they are busy) and said they have almost an exact match. My beef there is that they want you to buy the whole kit...adhesion promoter, everything....they bundle them, easier to make money. So when I need 4 cans to do the whole interior, I have to pay $50 x4. No thanks...at least not yet.

I have a contact at SEM and will ask them tomorrow when I get a minute. I have some numbers for them hoping they can make heads or tails of the information that was given to me.

I don't mind doing the whole interior, I mean it's already out....but I just want it to be somewhat close to original Opal. If I didn't care, I'd do it all in black and call it done. Guess my OCD is kicking in again.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got somewhere.

It's a custom mix. There is no off-the-shelf match for Opal Gray (or grey however you spell it). I ain't had a chance to test spray on a panel yet but I think it's gonna be really close. NPD part VP-4221

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got somewhere.

It's a custom mix. There is no off-the-shelf match for Opal Gray (or grey however you spell it). I ain't had a chance to test spray on a panel yet but I think it's gonna be really close. NPD part VP-4221
Awesome! Waiting on pics :coffee:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a lot harder to make anything happen in the shop with the issues I have but I'm doing my best. Just sprayed this broken armrest about 5 minutes ago so it's still "wet"--hence the difference in the "gloss". But you get the idea. It's still drying.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the cup holder console. Original console has been cleaned up but not painted. It’s very very close match. I can live with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is a very close match. My interior is also Opal Gray and this will help when I install the cupholder console or have to replace interior parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts