Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a novi 1000 w/ cooler this summer. However, I just checked out this Sean Hyland motorsports web page. Are those engines any good. How do these aftermarket engines handle boost? I would appreciate info from someone who has experience with these engines. Thanks

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/

·
Registered
132 Posts
if not the, definitely one of the best modular performance shops around. and i would have to say that almost all of the drivers running mod motor race classes use shm motors. i will be saving my pennies for a new bottom end as soon as i finish my top end.:lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I guess you get the picture , right? I just had a 575HP longblock intalled. Putting the Procharger back on it today. I was actually impressed with it in N/A form. I would suggest getting the blower cams if you get the longblock. I think I'm gonna be quite happy with it. Also consider the Novi 2000. It will be the last blower you'll ever buy. I got the P600B, now wishing I'd got a D-1 to start with. Anyways,....there are other places to get a solid 4.6. SHM is a little pricey but they have been on top of the 4.6 crowd from day 1. Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
they are the best in my opinion.... just be ready to give away your first and second born to afford the bill you'll get ;-)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
This subject comes up from time to time.
IMHO SHM stuff is hard to beat, and they are in the forefront of modular tech. I have no complaints about their products. My engine is great. Sometimes you have to beat them over the head to get their attention, cause they are so busy, but that's true of a bunch of other places also.

Having said the above...When I got my engine almost 2 years ago, there weren't many choices. Now there are other builders plenty worthy of your consideration. So...check out others also. If you decide on SHM, you should be in good hands.

If you buy an engine, make sure you ask for the billet oil pump gears. I assumed they were stock, didn't know to ask, and didn't get them (billet trigger wheel was stock). Had to install them later at some considerable expense. Still a little "pissed" about that, but fault was mostly mine, but seemed to me they should have mentioned it. (I wasn't talking to Scott then)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Like shooting craps with SHM...either your gonna get the best engine ever...or your gonna get a load of crap!!!

From my own personal experiance with SHM, I sometimes wonder if they ever really put a mod motor together.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
From my observations, Ron99Cobra hit the nail on the head. My personal observations of SHM motors has been lukewarm at best. Personally I would not buy one.

While every engine builder sooner or later makes both good and awful engines, my personal view is that I think you can find a better value somewhere else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a SHM longblock in my car last year and from day one I had problems and up until the day I sold it I still had problems. When I would call I could hardly ever talk to Sean himself. You spend that much money the engine should be running great out of the crate. I had a #3 misfire code from day one and even when I sold the car. I tried everything to fix it and no luck! Plugs,plug wires,coil packs,injectors,upper and lower intake gaskets,compression tests,leak down tests,power balance tests,and the list of **** goes on. Sean said it was because of the stage 1 cams the crank trigger sencer was causing this that is a bunch of BS. Then the motor had over 12000 miles on it and it started using coolant somewhere? It was not from the intake that had that taken off 3 times and had new gaskets each time. Even though you can use them over I didn't. All these extra parts that I did not need to replace I did and I had to pay for them plus all the labor. So in my opinion I got a **** engine!!!! That is why I drive a new GT instead of my 96 Cobra couldn't handle the stress this car was putting me through. I would look else where.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is alot of things I have learned from this adventure. That is who to depend on and who to not!! I depend on SHM!!

First off, if you aren't using/running parts from SHM you have no business chimming in here. Personal opinions aren't accurate!! I get so tired of people bashing SHM especially the ones who have never bought anything from them.

I bought a SHM stroker motor 2 years ago and never had a problem!!

To have a powerful car it's got to start with the motor first. People gripe that they are too expensive but SHM puts the best parts money can buy into their motors.
Racers wants to add all of these poweradders and other parts to make their cars to go faster but then they aren't concerened with their motor.
That seems to always amaze me.

Anytime I have had a problem regarless of what the issue was: tunning, electrical, and so on. SHM offered to help in any way they could. SHM even offered to come get my car to get it right.

To me, SHM is the best 4.6L modular engine builer around. My husband just bought a 98 Cobra and when it's time to replace the motor, it will be replaced with a motor from SHM.

And on a side note Ralph, the reason you weren't offered the oil gear pumps b/c 2yrs ago they weren't available.

Heather Domiano

·
Registered
61 Posts
He said he would look at my car also but I had to send it to Canada by truck or train and I had to pay for it. I was never paid back one cent of money for all of the trouble shooting he had the mechanic do. But I got stuck with the bill. Great customer service if you ask me. I don't think so! Some people may have had great luck then others do not. I happen to be one of the unlucky ones. We live and learn. I should have been offered a new motor from the get go. But that was never a option. Just waste more of my money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Was it just me or weren't you breaking Rockers from your SHM motor last time Heather?? Guess SHM couldn't help you out huh?? :rolleyes:

By the way, I've bought Cams from him, oil pump gears and the girdle....Service was terrible, then they overnighted the parts without telling me so I paid up the ying yang for shipping, etc...Bottom line is, you can go other places to spend your money...You don't need a Big name engine builder these days to get a quality motor...By the way John M at Accufab makes all of Sean's Billet Trigger wheels....I got mine from John himself...

thats about all I'll say on this one...

Jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts