Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into getting the smallest steering wheel possible that I can detach, what is the smallest size and components that I need:confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im looking into getting the smallest steering wheel possible that I can detach, what is the smallest size and components that I need:confused:
I went with a Grant wheel and their Indy style quick release hub. It comes off in under a second and back on just about as fast. The hub assembly consists of 2 parts--the part that bolts to the wheel and a small (actually the hub) collar that welds onto the steering shaft. Take a look at the Grant site and you can pick your wheel and matching hub assembly. I wrote a review for this mod for the Fastest Street Car magazine last year--I'll look to see if I kept the draft. This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.grantproducts.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/272.jpg

My Wheel:
http://www.grantproducts.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/41.jpg

Later,

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a Grant wheel and their Indy style quick release hub. It comes off in under a second and back on just about as fast. The hub assembly consists of 2 parts--the part that bolts to the wheel and a small (actually the hub) collar that welds onto the steering shaft. Take a look at the Grant site and you can pick your wheel and matching hub assembly. I wrote a review for this mod for the Fastest Street Car magazine last year--I'll look to see if I kept the draft.

Later,
Thanks for your help....:joy:......

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep in mind, as per NHRA rules, the steering wheel can't be smaller than 13" unless originally equipped with a smaller wheel.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I use almost the same Grant wheel with the same quick release hub on my car. Makes it alot easier getting in and out of the car over the door bar.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Real men just use a vice grip.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use almost the same Grant wheel with the same quick release hub on my car. Makes it alot easier getting in and out of the car over the door bar.
That was my biggest reason for changing the wheel over to a quick disconnect--I knew that if I ever HAD to exit the car real fast, the stock fixed wheel would slow me down.

Later,

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That was my biggest reason for changing the wheel over to a quick disconnect--I knew that if I ever HAD to exit the car real fast, the stock fixed wheel would slow me down.

Later,
Why are you that close to the steering wheel in the first place?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why are you that close to the steering wheel in the first place?
Well I'm not overly close to it BUT I'm 6'3" and when I go to get over the door bar my legs got hung up on the stock wheel. You shoulod of seen me trying to do that with the door only 1/4 open while it's in the trailer!! Much better now though.

Later,

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm not overly close to it BUT I'm 6'3" and when I go to get over the door bar my legs got hung up on the stock wheel. You shoulod of seen me trying to do that with the door only 1/4 open while it's in the trailer!! Much better now though.

Later,
Do you have any pics of that:worthless

I know what you mean Im 6'4"

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yep..I'm 6'6"...wasn't to bad getting in and out with my old 6pt bar...but I upgraded to a 10pt cage. It is a bit tight...but with the removable wheel it's a bit easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts