Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help classing my car. Here are the specs.

2000 Mustang GT
01 Cobra IRS
Aftermarket Catback
03 Cobra springs, cut
03 Cobra Bilsteins
03 Cobra brakes
17"x9" wheels

That's all, nothing wild. The SCCA text is a little confusing, and I am somewhat of a noob. I have been running in CP in my 89 coupe for about a year now. Not sure if it really fits there, but that's where the local guys placed me. I will enter the 2000 for the first time, and I want to be sure that I am in the correct class to know how I compare.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Is there a website that can tell us what classes the car will be in with certain mods?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rules book can be downloaded here :

http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=039EE3-E6FAFF0&x=050|070&~=

It can be a cumbersome read.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It looks like my car is in the SM class.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Henry

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I hope that there's a beginner's or a novice class that I can jump into. When I went to FedEx field last year, I saw the SM2 class and there were Z06's etc in there.

If there isn't a beginner's class, I guess I'll have no choice but to go right into SM2 because of the car I'm driving.

Would the MM Road and Track Box bump me out of SM2 and into a higher class? By the summer, my plans are to finish the suspension and end up with the MM R&T box on this car. I'm going to keep the stock Cobra R springs, struts, shocks, strut tower brace, and pinion snubber and add the rest of the box to the car.

MM Road and Track Box:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/giab2.asp

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Henry I'm in the same boat you are in. I'll be racing myself, just for the fun of driving. It were were to pull our SC off what class would we be in?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did not see you all at the DC events 4 CP 1993 Cobra 5 links car. Do not worry about the classing get some practice events in first to get a feel for it. If you go in CP in strret tires nobody will say anything until you start to place, but you will get to know people and classing for cars. Look me up I will be FS in a Red MACH 1 next year and also run the www.AUTOCROSSERSINC.org witch run a Ripken in aberden MD.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
MUSTANGCOBRA1353 said:
I did not see you all at the DC events 4 CP 1993 Cobra 5 links car. Do not worry about the classing get some practice events in first to get a feel for it. If you go in CP in strret tires nobody will say anything until you start to place, but you will get to know people and classing for cars. Look me up I will be FS in a Red MACH 1 next year and also run the www.AUTOCROSSERSINC.org witch run a Ripken in aberden MD.
Everytime I drive by Ripken's place there seems like there is somthing going on up there. I need to check them out one weekend.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As I understand it, you can use any DOT tire in any size that fits on the car in street prepared, prepared and mod. However, until next year, you cannot use bias ply race slicks on wheels bigger than 16". There is a max width restriction too, something like 12" wide (cp).

John

·
Registered
428 Posts
jeostang said:
I I can go in any class I want till I start to place?

Novice or not, you should really try to be in the most appropriate class for your car. Do this for your own sake as being over or under classed will not give you an accurate perception of your skill development relative to the group.

John

1 - 20 of 49 Posts