Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there done this? I have a 347 and a 78 firebird which could use a boost in power. anyone out there done this swap?

lemme know.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Do it! I think it would be cool

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A friend of mine put a 5.0 in a v-6 94 camaro. The drivers side header was difficult. I don't have pics of it though

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have mustangs. the 347 is coming out of my 93 LX that i'm selling as a roller soon because I need rid of a car for more space. the 347 is 500 hp NA. i had one of those 2 am thoughts that it would look wicked kind of old school with FAST efi and a Procharger under the hood of an old F-body. I found 700R4 adapter kits for SBF as I'd like to use a trans that I could later swap back to a SBC if I wanted to. main things i'm wondering about are long tube hedder clearance, probably need custom crossmembers. and it would be different. I like LS stuff but it's everywhere. I'd prefer not to do LS if only for that reason.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds like a plan.. don't forget the big Powered By Ford decal for the back window.:evil:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
to be really different put a turbo rotary engine into it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I see this thread getting good.

·
Moderator & USAF (Retired)
14,998 Posts
Pat Neil from Tucson has run a 460(ish) ford in a Camaro for a long time, has won a pinks all out, and campains regularly. At one time he had my old Aluminum Cobra Jet heads on the engine, at this time I don't know what power plant is in the car.

If he can get a 460 in an early(er) model, then I don't see such a headache getting a SBF into one.

But unless your really set on being "differnt" then I would suggest dumping the wedge to some chevy loyalist and looking for a ford platform for your fun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do see a lot of chevy stuff going into Fords and have for years, especially street rods. I have two stangs I want to get rid of the car the 347 was in because the other car is my keeper 48k original mile 89 saleen. I have this Firebird which I've owned since I was 14 (1984)...now I've dated myself. it has a very mild 355 sbc in it now. it's really slow mostly because it has weak gearing and crappy cylinder heads. My original plan was either AFR heads on the 355 and a Procharger which would yield around 600 hp. 2nd choice was a 530 hp NA 427 sbc, and then i'm thinking hey I have this built 347 why not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and on the powered by ford sticker...temping but no. the only sticker on the car is on the liscense plate. I think more ford guys should drive F-bodies that are Ford powered.

I will continue research crossmembers and trans mount. once i have my LX apart here in a few weeks a measuring tape will tell me how well this is going to work. my eyeballs tell me the 347 is shorter than the 355 which means if I keep the trans in the stock position I can set the engine back which is better for handling.

Here's the car....can't believe i'm posting a (ugh) GM car on corral. now i'm gonna have to think about custom liscense plates as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you end up doing the swap, put some stickers on it that say, "GM makes it, Ford shakes it".

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
people, such as myself, put LS's in Fords because it's the best motor out there in the best chassis out there. that's the reason it's nearly direct bolt in - driveshafts off the shelf, wiring off the shelf, clutch/etc off the shelf, headers off the shelf. direct bolt in parts, no BS.

that's why there isn't the same parts for the reverse. I've done my fair of different and custom ####. you have to be ready to accept the consequences, even if they are disappointing. sometimes it sounds real great in your head, and in the end it sucks.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
If your 347 already makes 500 hp n/a, then you would be money ahead to go on and install it. Getting a streetable 500 hp from an n/a 355 sbc is going to take a lot more than just fancy cylinder heads. Add in a non streetable cam, lots of compression, and a big carb and you'll have it. Forget running 93 octane gas also. A 347 SBF or LS1 motor would be a much better choice. The SBF, will obviously be a lot cheaper to build, but more work and money to install. So, you make the call there.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
people, such as myself, put LS's in Fords because it's the best motor out there in the best chassis out there.

Ever looked under a 4th generation GM f-body?

Long torque arm to help transfer the weight....

4 wheel disc brakes.....

Better aerodynamics......

Wheel base is slightly shorter than a 1979-2004 mustang.....

I've seen low 1.50 60ft times with a full weight 4th generation fbody with nothing more than the front sway bar removed and Nittos drag radials mounted on 17" wheels. Can't say the same for the fox body mustang.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my 347 has stage 2 ported TFS heads by TEA flowing 308/240 @ 0.6 lift, 10.3:1 comp, ross pistons with thermal barrier coat, eagle h-beam rods, eagle forged crank, 4-bolt main converted stock block, XE282HR with .565/.574 lift, etc. it made 400 rwhp / rwtq with a rich break in tune and a bad MSD coil with short hedders and full exhaust. it's gotten stronger since then through break in. I've ran EFI and $1k of superchips tune and it's very streetable. it would be hard to get 500 hp out of a 355 sbc with the same driveability. i also would like to run some boost, probably about 6-8 psi through an intercooler and run methanol injection. I'd spend about $12k to get a sbc stroker to 500hp as a NA baseline and it would be around 420-430 cubic inches.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
4th gens suck to work on and lack decent header room. Not to mention the issues with 3" dual exhaust.

Pontiac's haven't had their own engine in an F-body since 1981 so there is no shock value there. You just expect a Pontiac to not have a Pontiac engine. I would rather see a Ford in than a chevy engine.

After seeing your reasons I say go for it. I am a big fan of second gen F-bodys. Don't expect it to be cheap or easy unless you make it a hack job. I don't recommend it being a hack job since you have owned to car so long.

I have never been a particular fan of the 700R4 but built right it should be okay. I think this project just begs to be a stick car.

Personally I would build a 500 horse NA Pontiac motor. That is a real challenge :). I got out of Pontiac Engines before the Edlebrock heads came out. Very frustrating motors. I would still like to build a 455 with a set of Edlebrock heads. Who know maybe I could keep from spinning a rod bearing this time around.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts