Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the Corral from the begining. I have ALWAYS been a drag racer. However, my wife said I ought to try road racing. I live in Janesville, WI and have since 2008 and never knew we had Blackhawk Farms Raceway until a friend on the Corral told me about it. This place is about 10 miles from my house or so. So I bought a Mustang that is setup for this and plan on going to practice on this course. I have had friends in the past that have done this and drag racing but I have always been into the drags so I never opted for it. Plus it is not getting the most out of your car by trying to set it up for both and I want to see what I can do, so it is going to stay setup for the road race type stuff.

Not sure how long this will last for me before I go back to drag racing. If it is fun (and I suspect it will be) I might buy a car for the drags and keep one for the road racing. Anyways, look forward to reading and learning in a section of the Corral I have never been too....lol.

Ed

·
Registered
378 Posts
So I bought a Mustang that is setup for this and plan on going to practice on this course.

Ed
Hello.

Best plan ever Ed.
A lot better than mine or a few others in this section that spend years building a car and never actually drive it. I'm sure you'll have a great time working on your driving skills.

Derrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
Great to hear you want to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I think you will really enjoy this section of the Corral, there are some very experienced folks that post here, tons to learn. I find the general level of expertise in this area to be exceptional.

As you well know, I spent a great deal of time and money to get my car set up for road course action only to find it was my driving skills that were lacking, and have not allowed me to take full advantage of the car's capabilities. Very sage advice that I've read: "seat time, seat time, and more seat time!)

I'm looking forward to getting out on track this Spring, see you soon!

Can you tell us about your nice little Fox Notch?

Jay

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much Derrick. I would not have even gone this route if it were not for the fact Jay (aka Petmotel) told me that track was in my back yard and let me drive his car. I am seriously considering going with a engine setup like his. It is a beast!

Hello Jay, I bought Yogibear357 car. Here it is. http://forums.corral.net/forums/mustangs-sale-wanted-1987-1993/2066217-lx-1988-coupe-5-0-a.html He is a great guy to deal with and the car is very well setup. It just needs a paint job and it is done. Once I get it, if the weather is nice, I will drive down and let you take it for a spin. He has all the go fast road racing stuff on it with the exception of a tubular K member which I will put in...probably the same as you have.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good Luck! I never drag raced. I actually ran cigarette boats before getting into road racing with some buddies 5-6 years ago. I've met a number of former drag racers, all of them say this is ALOT more fun. I've not known any to go back to drag racing.

I'm one of those that preach seat time. I bought a competitive car and have set track records in my class with it. It's a P.O.S SN95 by most people standards but I drive the hell out of it (I pass the guy that stole the one he's driving! LOL). Do not make changes to any car til you can tell the difference in a couple pounds or air pressure or what effect a shock change had on the car. Making changes before that do not help if you don't know what it's doing to start with!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hello.

Best plan ever Ed.
A lot better than mine or a few others in this section that spend years building a car and never actually drive it. I'm sure you'll have a great time working on your driving skills.

Derrick
this advice is right on que! Mods tend to chain link together and then next thing you know its been years since you drove it! Its been 5 years since I done more than pull it out of the garage....:eeek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
C'mon in Ed, the water's fine!!
Lots of experience in this forum. And they are willing to share it... Until you match their lap times!
Car looks great! Seat time and tire budget. Cannot have too much of them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet car Ed! If you need someone to get it out here, let me know! I 'm always game for a road trip!

Jay
Thanks Jay, not sure if I am going to drive it or ship it yet. Been going back and forth on it. I don't want to get stuck in a blizzard somewhere. Did that with my last notch and it was nearly stock and it sucked....lol.

Thank you Oldbutnew, look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

Thank you EJthePJ

Schoolboy, I got that way with the last drag racer I had. Got it setup, met my goals, drove it a lot and then it sat. After a year or two of that and 15 years of ownership, I finally sold it back to the original owner.

Good information t500hps, I will keep that all in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oh its going to be fun alright, prepare to become addicted!

My advice, LEAVE the motor stock! Go to the track and get seat time, tweak and tune the small things, and start from there. These cars have plenty of power its going to scare the hell out of you trying to corner flat out with a fox.

Step 1. Chassis stiffening is CRITICAL with these filmy foxes, (frame connecters, cage, etc)
Step 2. Eliminating #### rear suspension design (ie stock four link)
Step 3. Improve front suspension (increase negative camber)

Just learn from the car, and have fun, this is a whole new ball game that doesnt require horsepower, #### racing a 100hp Miata will be the time of your life, these foxes (with weight reduction and sticky tyres will keep you at the edge of your seat)

·
Registered
639 Posts

My advice, LEAVE the motor stock! Go to the track and get seat time, tweak and tune the small things, and start from there. These cars have plenty of power its going to scare the hell out of you trying to corner flat out with a fox.

Step 1. Chassis stiffening is CRITICAL with these filmy foxes, (frame connecters, cage, etc)

Just learn from the car, and have fun, this is a whole new ball game that doesnt require horsepower, #### racing a 100hp Miata will be the time of your life, these foxes (with weight reduction and sticky tyres will keep you at the edge of your seat)
Click the link provided, car he bought is already fairly seriously modified.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mustangs-sale-wanted-1987-1993/2066217-lx-1988-coupe-5-0-a.html

Jay

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
You're gonna get hoooooooked LOL

I had a student earlier this year whose motorsports experience was being a competitive drag racer for decades at Great Lakes Dragaway and all around the midwest, but he retired out here, bought a new Mustang GT, and decided to try a road course track day. He loved it. 4 or 5 more track days and he's hooked hard. He just bought himself an S2000 to turn into a dedicated track car and will be doing Time Trials with NASA. You're gonna love it.

And Blackhawk is a fun track, doesn't really get the attention it deserves. It's been a long time since I've been there and I hope they're keeping it in decent shape.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're gonna get hoooooooked LOL

I had a student earlier this year whose motorsports experience was being a competitive drag racer for decades at Great Lakes Dragaway and all around the midwest, but he retired out here, bought a new Mustang GT, and decided to try a road course track day. He loved it. 4 or 5 more track days and he's hooked hard. He just bought himself an S2000 to turn into a dedicated track car and will be doing Time Trials with NASA. You're gonna love it.

And Blackhawk is a fun track, doesn't really get the attention it deserves. It's been a long time since I've been there and I hope they're keeping it in decent shape.
That could be me in a couple years. My wife and I have been looking at a warm weather climate for retirement and Arizona is on that list.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Too late for the stock motor. It has a Dart block 347 in it but the chassis and the rest of it is setup and ready to go. It just needs a tubular K member. I am REALLY excited about all this. It is something new to try and I love that.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'd also suggest looking into doing some auto-x'ing. While auto-x and road racing setups aren't identical, they are pretty damn similar. The skills you learn slinging it around in 2nd gear on cold tires can save your ass if you get sideways in 4th on a road course. Plus, you can learn a ton about tire pressures, tire temps, setup, etc. Fairly cheap way to gain some quick driving skills and to make new friends/meet people who know what they are doing in your area.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I have seen that before. Would probably be pretty popular as they only have to find a lot big enough to setup the cones. Can do that most anywhere with space. Thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts