Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62860

Several weeks ago, the SEMA Action Network (SAN) requested that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suspend its partial waiver to permit the sale of gasoline containing 15 percent ethanol (E15) for model year 2007 and newer vehicles. Instead, the EPA has taken another step in the wrong direction by expanding the waiver to include MY 2001-2006 vehicles. The decision conflicts with President Obama’s Executive Order from earlier this week that requires government agencies to balance social and economic costs.

The EPA agrees with SAN that older cars (pre-MY 2001) should not be fueled with E15. The EPA reached its decision based over concern that ethanol’s corrosive qualities could harm the vehicle’s engine and other metal, plastic and rubber components. The EPA has proposed that a warning label be posted on the gas pump to prevent misfueling. SAN opposes this solution as incomplete given the significant threat of damage that could arise from misfueling. Even for newer vehicles, the label will cause confusion since most owner’s manuals instruct the motorist not to use ethanol blends higher than E10 and warranty coverage may be denied for damage caused by misfueling.

SAN will continue to oppose E15 until there are conclusive scientific findings that demonstrate that it will not harm automobiles of any age as a result of corrosion or other chemical incompatibilities.

Please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby!

·
Registered
15,899 Posts
How do you, the faceless poster for the PAC, feel about this personally?

·
Corral Day Kittah
16,060 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he, like myself, is sick of crappy, vehicle destructing "fuel" being sold under the impression that it will have any impact on emissions much less our fuel consumption. And that it's yet another government reg being shoved down our collective throats with no regard for those of us that have older, strong performing vehicles that keep them that way by continuing to boost the economy in the form of parts as well as paying all our bills, each and every month with the money we save by not buying a brand new car from organizations like Government Motors.

Just a guess. And I know who he is, dot. He's not exactly faceless - maybe we can get him to post a pic of himself and his car(s).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he, like myself, is sick of crappy, vehicle destructing "fuel" being sold under the impression that it will have any impact on emissions much less our fuel consumption. And that it's yet another government reg being shoved down our collective throats with no regard for those of us that have older, strong performing vehicles that keep them that way by continuing to boost the economy in the form of parts as well as paying all our bills, each and every month with the money we save by not buying a brand new car from organizations like Government Motors.

Just a guess. And I know who he is, dot. He's not exactly faceless - maybe we can get him to post a pic of himself and his car(s).
My lawnmower and snowblower were recalled due to the fact the ethanol fuel Ill requires to be sold eats the needle on the carbs in them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
15,899 Posts
Well I think you're hot. I want to be besties.

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
Why isn't there this much backlash against road salt? You buy a car in 2000, in 2010 the entire thing has been consumed and sent to the scrap yard. But some tree-sitter in East Bum####, Tennessee finds a spot of corrosion in a needle valve in a lawnmower he hasn't used in 8 years and ethanol becomes the first horseman of the apocalypse.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Why isn't there this much backlash against road salt? You buy a car in 2000, in 2010 the entire thing has been consumed and sent to the scrap yard. But some tree-sitter in East Bum####, Tennessee finds a spot of corrosion in a needle valve in a lawnmower he hasn't used in 8 years and ethanol becomes the first horseman of the apocalypse.
I agree on the salt. It would be ok with me if they quit using it. Do they use it in Colorado? I will say that my 04 F150 doesn't like ethanol. Well, I don't like it in the truck because it causes a milky buildup in the oil cap. Can't be good under the valve cover. I blame the rediculous emissions that don't allow the engine to be properly ventilated not the ethanol though.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

Eh +1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts