Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, building new custom rear axle (floater) for fox body and found S197 newtakeoff rear axle assembly for reasonable. Three questions: 1-do they have 3" axle tubes? 2-axle tube wall thickness? 3-would griggs foxbody torque arm bolt-on to it? Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Luigi - I'm in the process of doing the same, S197 housing, floater ends with camber, but I plan to use it as a true 3-link in my fox. I can tell you the tubes are 3", I don't have the wall thickness handy but I have it, and its my opinion the torque arms designed for the Fox/SN95 8.8 axles will not bolt to the S197 housing. The mounting ears at the pinion bearing do not extend as far as those on the Fox housing. Of course I assume you are aware that all the brackets on the S197 housing are not bolt in matches to the Fox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, will grind all brackets out and use Allstar clamp-on shock/trailing arm brackets. Not sure how to mount brake brackets, depends on which brakes to use. I am trying to avoid welding to not warp tubes. Torqarm mounting ears can be cut and reweld. Do you use cambered snouts or do you bend the tubes heating by the torch?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm using cambered snouts from Coleman Racing. I'd be curious to see how you modify the torque arm mounting ears to work with the S197 housing, I might keep that as a plan b.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm using cambered snouts from Coleman Racing. I'd be curious to see how you modify the torque arm mounting ears to work with the S197 housing, I might keep that as a plan b.
How's your progress coming on this?
Reason I ask, I'd like to see if there's room to run a S197 with a 3-link configuration in a 2004 and older car as the floor is much higher in the newer cars which Ford had to do (I think) to make room for the top-mounted 3-link. I know I have had my 8.8 bottom-out against the floor pan before (low ride height) and that's without a control arm mounted on top of the housing...

·
Registered
657 Posts
How's your progress coming on this?
Progress, what's progress? Still sitting on the shop floor in pieces.

I know finishing it means cutting a big hole in the floor of a low miles rust free 82GT body. I think my subconsious is preventing further work on this project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts