Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took it off, ground it down, and painted it with some leftover black brake caliper paint.

EW! RUST!

After using a steel brush on the die grinder to get the rust off.

Painted.

Installed.

Cheap and easy. Helps to have air tools. Oh, and the reason it gets rusty is because of my frequent engine washings. :) I washed it shortly after installing the painted piece.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dumb question, is it easy to get the EGR off? Mine's not rusted but it would be nice to paint it now.

Thanks,
Marcus

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
How do you go about washing the engine? I need to do that.
I spray mine down real good with the hose. Then I get my spray bottle full of simple green and coat everything under the hood with it. I let it sit for about ten minutes then I hose it all off. Looks immaculate afterwards.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes...how did you get that off, and when you take it off, is there any fluid that comes out tha we should be aware of? I am not even sure what this piece does, except look like ass on my detailed motor.

Can you give some more details please on the removal and re-install...gaskets, etc.

Thanks.
~Darren

·
Registered
648 Posts
The EGR I believe relieves gas pressure in the head and forces unburned fuel and oil to be put back through the intake so it's burned the second time around. It's basically pollution control.
There won't be any fluids, but I'd still like to know the steps in taking it off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use a crescent wrench to remove the nut holding the EGR tube onto the back of the unit. Then use a 10mm deep to remove the bolts holding it to the intake. That simple. No gasket to worry about.

Piece of proverbial cake. Tip though....when reinstalling it, do the bolts first, then use a screwdriver under the EGR tube to get the nut started.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Spreadman said:
Use a crescent wrench to remove the nut holding the EGR tube onto the back of the unit. Then use a 10mm deep to remove the bolts holding it to the intake. That simple. No gasket to worry about.

Piece of proverbial cake. Tip though....when reinstalling it, do the bolts first, then use a screwdriver under the EGR tube to get the nut started.
Did you cover anything when u hosed it off? I wanna hit mine with a pressure washer when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
Did you cover anything when u hosed it off? I wanna hit mine with a pressure washer when the weather gets better.
\

I dont cover anything when I use the procedure i described above. I just be careful around the air filter. I really wouldnt go with a pressure washer. That has enough force to maybe force water into something. Just use the hose like i said up top and it will be ok. Ive never had any problems.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What sapper said. ;) And don't worry when steam starts pouring out of the radiator area....it's normal. Just let your car idle and get up to temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts