Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge has been drifting past the thermostat set point and I believe it is running hotter than normal. I replaced the fan clutch and have no coolant/oil mixing symptoms but am hoping a head gasket may still explain it. Any tips on running a compression test? Should I remove all plugs before running? Should I remove the belt? Should I squirt some oil in the cylinder? Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
pull the plugs, disable the fuel pump. Full open throttle while cranking the engine over. Do not squirt oil into the cylinder unless it is showing low compression. A compression check may not reveal anything wrong with a head gasket if it is a small leak.

If you believe a head gasket is bad, perform a coolant system leak down check or perform a chemical check for combustion gasses in the coolant. The tools for a coolant system leak down check and gas check can be rented from most autoparts stores.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression test results. All plugs look fine. Is compression low enough in #7 to conclude a possible head gasket leak or other problem? What would you do next?

IMG_8246.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts