Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
How about run E85 and a intercooler? Best of both. I'll be running a a/w along with E85 on my new turbo combo.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
E85 and no cooler. Really with e85 a cooler isn't needed. You will get better turbo/boost response. E85 burns way cooler naturally and not to mention way less cold piping. I say grab a EFI carb/spyder style intake and run a nitrous plate to introduce fuel a little further in the intake tract kinda like the carb guys. Atleast when I upgrade to my tv7701 I am getting rid of the cooler and doing just that.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Run both if you can. Heck I run e85, intercooler and meth.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My iat at the end of 1/4 is 122* with the intercooler and E85. I haven't ran my meth kit with it yet.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
My iat at the end of 1/4 is 122* with the intercooler and E85. I haven't ran my meth kit with it yet.
Why do you think you need the meth with intake temps in the 120's, and an Ethanol fuel??:confused:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Why do you think you need the meth with intake temps in the 120's, and an Ethanol fuel??:confused:
I had been running meth before I swapped to E85.
You don't think iats in the 50's will be better than 120's.
All I have to do is fill the meth tank and pull some fuel in the tune to run it.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I had been running meth before I swapped to E85.
You don't think iats in the 50's will be better than 120's.
All I have to do is fill the meth tank and pull some fuel in the tune to run it.
No, you won't gain a thing. A 120*F intake charge is very close to an N/A motor on a hot Arizona day.

You have super low intake charge temps, and run E85 which is oxygenated, and the equivlent of 100 octane fuel.

Adding yet another component to the system will yield ZERO. You are safe as hell right now, and making great power.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
No, you won't gain a thing. A 120*F intake charge is very close to an N/A motor on a hot Arizona day.

You have super low intake charge temps, and run E85 which is oxygenated, and the equivlent of 100 octane fuel.

Adding yet another component to the system will yield ZERO. You are safe as hell right now, and making great power.
So a N/A motor running on a hot Arizona day will not pick up any HP compared to a running on a cold Canada day??

E85 has a higher octane than 100.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
So a N/A motor running on a hot Arizona day will not pick up any HP compared to a running on a cold Canada day??

E85 has a higher octane than 100.
Totally different scenario when it comes to N/A. There is a misconception that the air is more dense (density meaning containing more molecules of Oxygen by volume) after drawn in, compressed (heated) then cooled. Once the compressor draws in X amount of air, and compresses it, it will NOT gain more Oxygen molecules, even after it has been cooled down. Think of a balloon filled with air. Put it in the freezer. What happens? It contracts and the molecules of oxygen become smaller, and the balloon gets smaller. The same amount of air/oxygen is still in the balloon, but yes it is colder.

and actually E85, when tested the same way as regular gasoline, actually comes out to about 94-96 octane.

The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." :salute:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts