Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to order one Enkei RPF1 in 17x10 just to test fit. The common belief is that Mustangs with Cobra R brakes (Brembo 13 inch kit) do not clear those. Well, I'm happy to report that they do in fact clear the wheels, and the suspension. It does stick out just a tiny little bit in the front, at full droop. I'm thinking that I'll have the fenders pulled just an inch, and at ride height it will probably be perfect. Best part is the wheel takes 8 lbs a corner off my current track wheel setup (Cobra R 17x9 = 25lbs, Enkei RPF1 17x10 = 17lbs), and I should get better sidewall action, as well as better contact patch, since I'm going away from 17x9 wheel on a 275 NT-01

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice, good to know as I'm looking to buy some RPF-1's and was wondering if they'll clear over my Wilwoods.

Almost forgot, what offset are those?? I'm looking at a set that's 17x9 +22.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gotcha, should be fine as the stock 04 Cobra wheels clear fine as thats what I have now. I originally had ordered the Brembos but after 3mos of waiting for them to show up on back order I gave up and went with the Wilwoods.

Gotta love how light the RPF-1's are.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will need a serious spacer to make it happen. Might as well go for wider wheel.
wheel width is irrelevant in terms of clearing brakes. its all in the back spacing and the offset.

most wheels for a mustang need a +22 offset to clear the big brakes on the front. a 17x9 +22 should be fine with no spacer

OP- if your suspension was compressed and you run at least 2+ degress of camber the wheel should be flush with the fender or close to it. so you may need to roll it at a minimum, shouldnt have to pull it though

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
wheel width is irrelevant in terms of clearing brakes. its all in the back spacing and the offset.
Actually, it's in the spoke design, and the 17x9" version of the RPF-1 is not particularly friendly for big brake clearance. Hence ReplicaR's comment that he might as well go with the 17x10s, since they do clear.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh yeah, a bit of an update. I've actually had fenders rolled and pulled to clear the wheels. Here is the outcome. That's with extensive rolling and pulling, and going as far as unbolting fenders and sliding them to the side as much as it will go.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
very nice! i want to order 17x10 wheels for all corners, offset of +20, im glad to see your thread how close is the wheel to the coilover?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Wow! Definitely a deceiving picture, I was thinking the same thing about needing more negative camber.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow, forgot about this thread. I did get the RPF-1's on my car, just barely clear the Wilwoods but they make it. Surprising how they are much closer than the 04' Cobra wheels which had ample space underneath them.

Nice fit:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my fitment wheel through TireRack. Once I was ready to buy the rest of them and tires, I found a local shop that cut me a great "cash only" deal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts