Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
It looks like small chucks are starting to come out. I would scrap those asap.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I agree with Popeye. Generally the rule of thumb is that heat checking is fine until the cracks either get to the edge of the rotor or get big enough that they'll catch a fingernail. Clearly, when you've got little chunks flaking off, those are going to catch a fingernail!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! I definitely can catch fingernail on it. What about the existing pads? Can I use the old pads on new rotors? And is there a specific grease for the bearings? There are fine streaks of grease coming out of the dust cap. The inner and outer bearings still had grease and feel good but the grease was looking/feeling thinner. I need to get one more track day out of my 87 stock brakes, then I'm going 13" brembo or have been thinking of the vintage venom 14" setup.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
As long as they still have good meat left on them, there's no reason you can't use old pads on new rotors. I do it all the time.

For the bearing grease, it's been a while since I've had to repack a wheel bearing. Lucas Red 'n' Tacky #2, NEO HP800, Redline CV2 are some that get good reviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts