Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you switch rotors from side to side asuming they are plain faced?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If the vanes of the rotor are non-directional, then yes. The direction of the vanes determine the side they are installed on.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know I keep breaking the left front so I thought about rotating from side to side to try to get a little more life out of them.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have a slight caliper drag, or something generating more heat on that one side.
Nothing dragging in fact I have recently replaced calipers and brackets.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm certainly not some speed racer, but I do put my car through a few rotor heat cycles. Not just on Mustangs, i've had great luck with the "Lifetime warranty" rotors from Napa/Advance Auto. I think Cobra rotors are like 28-30$ each.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I'm certainly not some speed racer, but I do put my car through a few rotor heat cycles. Not just on Mustangs, i've had great luck with the "Lifetime warranty" rotors from Napa/Advance Auto. I think Cobra rotors are like 28-30$ each.
Last I looked on NAPA's site, they had two versions of Cobra rotors - the $46 "premium" and the $73 "ultra premium." So which version are we talking about here? I need some rotors and would prefer the local option.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Those things have gone up. Glad I bought two sets when they were $23 at Advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My only issue with NAPA is that the local store doesn't always honor the website price.

Rockauto has Raybesto Cobra rotors at $43. Also they typically always have a 5% discount. Shipping is very reasonable.

www.rockauto.com

How did you hear about us? (5% disc code) = 17135571457225

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well, just for S-N-G's, I tried taking back year old rotors and they did not honor the warranty.

Granted the rotors were blue/purple/goldish color with about a 3-ish mm lip on the outside edge. ;) They cited "racing useage" as the reason. They'd had a season and a half of autocross and appx. 3 or 4 track days on them using HP+ pads(in a 3600lb+ car)

They must be cracking down on the replacement allowance's or I just got a hard-ass in there.

They did sell me some new blank MACH1 rotors for a little bit under 40$ though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cracking all the way through from the edge to the center.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cracking all the way through from the edge to the center.
If this cracking is from "track duty" I have a couple of suggestions:

#1 ALL Mustangs need front brake cooling at the track. If you don't have it, get it!

#2 If you DO have front brake cooling you need to take your last lap as a cool down lap, not using your brakes at all.

#3 Once you are back in the paddock, you're going to want to 'roll' your car forward or backward about a foot every five minutes as your rotors are cooling. Otherwise the portion of the rotor that is not shielded by the caliper is going to cool at a much more rapid rate than the portion in the caliper and that normally is what causes those types of cracks.

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts