1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
806 Posts
i have been mulling over this for quite a while. I like the idea of power throughout the band of the roots blower, but I also want a 12.50's car. I was looking at the Saleen Series II, but most S281's are having a hard time breaking the 12's, let alone the down to a 12.50. I wouldn't mind the KB, or the new Saleen Series 5 blower (both being a twin screw) as they are capable of making the power that you would need to go 12.50's (the S281-E went 11.70's on slicks, with a saleen road race supsension) I am also trying to build a streetable motor using the stock block with 8~9 psi to go 12.50's on a drag radial type tire and a 3.73 gear.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree that 10psi is max for these cars and 8psi is a better choice. If you over rev(7000rpm stated in the article) you make more like 12-13psi with the 10psi kit and will blow the motor. Roots blow motors also, ask Joe Sartain Ford. The Saleen dealer here local has had many problems with blown engines. The 281E uses the internals more like the 03 Cobra, maybe it will hold up better. Main reason Ford uses Eaton is cost, KBs and Centrifugals are much higher. Saleen used to use Vortech. I think the ATI Stage II with 8psi is the way to go, very dependable IMO. 8psi intercooled with any blower should be safe with the proper injectors and timing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Keith Foster, you would recommend the ATI blower with the intercooler. The 42 lbs. injectors, and the lightning MAF meter? This combo at on an 8 psi kit will produce the power then the Saleen kit for the same money? maybe I could

·
Registered
167 Posts
It will give around 370hp to the wheels on a 99up GT 5 Speed on a Dynojet. Mustang Dyno reads a little lower. Saleen Series II cars are rated at 365hp at the flywheel. I think you would enjoy the kit at this boost level. People always seem to want more and will give it to you, but you need to do some work in the bottom end first.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Keith could you PM, or post if you don't mind, on the price from you (as I have heard you are the best prices around) for everything to make this work. I am looking for the P1SC with the intercooler and the lightning MAF, along with 42lb injectors, what about a chip, and fuel pump. The other combo Im looking at is the Aftercooled vortech.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I prefer roots blowers since they are a neat installation. Just remember that stock pistons are only good for about 400-450 HP. For piece of mind, it is just best to get forged pistons whenever boost or nitrous is used. Roush also has a roots blower.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keith,

The real reason that Ford uses Eaton (roots) blowers is not cost. It is the same reason that Jaguar, Mercedes, and GM use Eaton blowers. The main reason is because of the high reliability of Eaton blowers and lower warranty repair issues.

The secondary consideration is based on how most people drive their cars. Most folks hardly ever see the high side of their engine rpm where a centrifugal will make power. Roots type blowers match much better how most people drive.

I know one of the senior managers in the Ford engine development group. Cost of the blower is insignificant in the decision to use Eaton blowers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Keith Foster said:
I agree that 10psi is max for these cars and 8psi is a better choice. If you over rev(7000rpm stated in the article) you make more like 12-13psi with the 10psi kit and will blow the motor. Roots blow motors also, ask Joe Sartain Ford. The Saleen dealer here local has had many problems with blown engines. The 281E uses the internals more like the 03 Cobra, maybe it will hold up better. Main reason Ford uses Eaton is cost, KBs and Centrifugals are much higher. Saleen used to use Vortech. I think the ATI Stage II with 8psi is the way to go, very dependable IMO. 8psi intercooled with any blower should be safe with the proper injectors and timing.
I've never really talked to the guys at Joe Sartain Ford about blown motors, but I was thinking about getting the new Saleen blower installed there (since I bought a NX kit I won't be needing them). I bought my car and now I'm shamelessly plugging their dealership. Hell, anything is better than Woody Anderson Ford. Not even if hell froze over would I set foot on the lot of Woody Anderson.

By the way, I know someone that wants a supercharger installed, do you know anybody in North Alabama that can do this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have also been told by Ford engineers that the Eaton is much cheaper than a Centrifugal or KB. You are correct that there would be more warranty issues with a large centrifugal or KB since the boost could be upped considerably over the stock setting(Eatons can be increased also, but maybe not as much). Plus the fact that they spin slower than a centrifugal. At 8-10 psi you could get over 100k miles out of any of them. Eatons are available in large numbers at lower costs than the others and this is what I was told is the deciding factor. They do work, no denying that. If cost wasn't a factor the Mustangs would actually have better rods and pistons like the 03 Cobra(they blew up several Cobras trying to get by doing the least they could on the engine). Cost is always a factor. If they quit making Eatons would everyone quit offering blowers. No, they would move to a different kind and pass the greater cost on to us. Just what I was told, might have lied to me but it makes sense.

I like Sartains myself. They have had a few problems, just saying if you overboost with any blower its a bad thing. They have a blown Eaton off an 01 Lightning also, you can break anything if you try. I had a customer who wanted a blower and keep his warranty. They said if I installed a Saleen it was cool, but when they told me of all the problems with them I kinda backed out. I still think its a good kit overall just don't really trust it without a dyno tune. I install blowers all the time so if I can help you or your friend I will be happy to. Roots or Centrifugal or Turbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts